Thread: Setting up a Server

Beans

Setting up a Server

Hi I was just wondering if there's a step by step guild with screen shots that shows someone like me (an amateur) on how to set up a simple web sever at home with some extra features like the plesk control panel and of course mysql.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Setting up a Server

Hi. Look at the tutorials at howtoforge and you may find something that helps.

Beans

yeah I have went threw that a couple of times. Without great success. Maybe I'll try again and post my errors here.

Can someone answer how do I check all the directories I have and sub directories inside a directory I have

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I use slicehost's tutorials. Go to slicehost.com and click on community. They have lots of articles focused on configuring ubuntu from the very basics to deploying apache, mysql, etc.
    David.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kubapl View Post
    Can someone answer how do I check all the directories I have and sub directories inside a directory I have
    The simplest method of performing a recursive directory listing is with the ls command:

ls -R

ls -lR

The first is a short listing (filename only) and the second version shows a long listing (the output of ls -l but recursive). These commands will perform the recursive listing from the current working directory. Adding a directory name to the end of the commands will start the listing in that directory.

The find command performs recursive searches by default. To duplicate ls -R, use:

find . -print

The -print option is the default in many versions of find, so just 'find .' will often work. The find command is extremely powerful and is worth reading a few recipes to learn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin