Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Topaz Makes Sense

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Topaz Makes Sense

Quote Originally Posted by wersdaluv View Post
    It's not just like gimmie. It would change the way apps are ran even with other means (like keystroke launcher) and how they are closed. It could also run only fragments of apps depending on what action one chooses to do. This is just a hypothesis though, since topaz doesn't exist yet.

What is sure is that it would change how a user views the desktop and that is a radical change. That can't be done just by one applet. Gimmie tried to do that but it didn't do it well. It's a complex idea.
    gimmie is not ready yet, is buggy buggy and crashes often.

also i've been seen some gimmie "2.0" mockups at the ibex theme section

anyway, big changes to gnome are not something that would be welcome

people don't like radical changes or like to re-learn stuff, unless it' fixes a big problem for them.

i think the gnome devs will do good by not introducing too much stuff, just needed improvements, bug fixes and making the UI nicer looking.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is certainly an interesting concept, however it won't be Gnome 3.0, it's way too different. If someone wanted, they should start an independent project as a completely new DE (could even call it Topaz Desktop Environment if they wanted )
    Thinkpad T61p: 15.4" WUXGA Screen, Core 2 Duo T9300, 4GB DDR2, 512MB Quadro 570M, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+RW, Intel 4965AGN+Bluetooth, 9 Cell Battery
    http://blog.zachtib.com

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zachtib View Post
    This is certainly an interesting concept, however it won't be Gnome 3.0, it's way too different. If someone wanted, they should start an independent project as a completely new DE (could even call it Topaz Desktop Environment if they wanted )
    i don't think is worth a fork just for 1 or 2 applets

isnt it better just to create this applets?
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    i don't think is worth a fork just for 1 or 2 applets

isnt it better just to create this applets?
    i don't know if it's just a few applets, and i'm not necessarily thinking of a fork, but a separate DE, like Xfce. Something lightweight with a "different" approach to the desktop
    Thinkpad T61p: 15.4" WUXGA Screen, Core 2 Duo T9300, 4GB DDR2, 512MB Quadro 570M, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+RW, Intel 4965AGN+Bluetooth, 9 Cell Battery
    http://blog.zachtib.com

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zachtib View Post
    i don't know if it's just a few applets, and i'm not necessarily thinking of a fork, but a separate DE, like Xfce. Something lightweight with a "different" approach to the desktop
    it would be better if they try creating these applets first.

by just removing or adding applets/panels you can make gnome have any "approach" you want and it's hell easier to maintain.

then if they want to go even further more radical, then they could start a separate project.

imagine gimmie devs forking gnome just to make their menu and a few small stuff..
    Last edited by madjr; July 16th, 2008 at 05:52 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wersdaluv View Post
    It's not just like gimmie. It would change the way apps are ran even with other means (like keystroke launcher) and how they are closed. It could also run only fragments of apps depending on what action one chooses to do. This is just a hypothesis though, since topaz doesn't exist yet.

What is sure is that it would change how a user views the desktop and that is a radical change. That can't be done just by one applet. Gimmie tried to do that but it didn't do it well. It's a complex idea.
    Why can't a panel applet do that? An example would be the clock/calendar applet which loads appointments from evolution. It would be just as easy to load data from evolutions contact list.

Meh, I don't dig it. But I'll save my mean and abrasive anti-Gnome rants for elsewhere.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If that became gnome I would be using KDE or XFCE faster than I blink.

On the other hand if that became a mode gnome could run in, and toggling between standard gnome and document mode was done by a panel applet, I might have some use for it.

But for some reason I just don't think that would help new users use gnome. It might help completely new computer users, but anyone who had used anything else would be irritated (IMHO), if that was default i would shudder.

Anyway, what most people seem to complain about is theming and lack of configuration. :S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12