Thread: A good IPTC aware photo organizer

Beans

A good IPTC aware photo organizer

I'm trying to organize a set of photos that is 'partially' organized at the moment, and having some difficulty finding a program or set of pregrams that work well together.

I like Digikam, but found out the hard way that when I delete or modify tags it doesn't actually change my tags - it simply hides any old tags I had, which means when I start to use any other program for anything I find vast amounts of 'Lint' have built up where I *thought* I was keeping items clean, plus it really only deals with anything besides basic tagging on a one at a time basis.

Unfortunately anything else I've tried is worse - Picasa might be nice, but sometimes it seems to do things on the file in IPTC, sometimes it just adds it to it's internal database, so tags I think I've added aren't actually there. plus it does Tags and Captions, nothing else.

Mapivi *looks* like it might work, but I don't find the interface intuitive and every time I try to actually use it to edit the IPTC data it I end up with something buggy happening. I'm running out of dead chickens to wave over it frankly. I like the interface to jbrout better, but it seems too crash with even less provocation.

I *can* do batch files using some of the imagemagick tools - but I am really not a coder, and while I can write a script to do what I need for a specific job, doing this for 30 K pics that I need to sort out on the fly is not a process I trust myself to simply automate and go with.

Several other photomanagement tools (F-Spot, Eye of Gnome, others) just don't seem IPTC friendly at all.

What I would *like* is something that I can use to sort things out by IPTC data, but after having played around with various programs I'm getting fairly frustrated - IPTC has been around long enough, and seems to me to be an obvious enough tool, that I have difficulty understanding why there's not more support. Is anyone aware of a GUI tool that has strong IPTC support?

Thanks - Jonnan
    Last edited by jonnan; July 15th, 2008 at 10:50 AM.
    This has been a test of the Ubuntu Messaging System
    Had this been a real message, there would be real content.

Beans

Re: A good IPTC aware photo organizer

Alternatively, does anyone know how to make Digikam *actually* delete tags from photos, rather than just hide them in the database?

Surely there's something available that actually allows one to see and edit the tags in a group mode. If need be, I can clear all the data or something and start rebuilding from the ground up, but I would *really* prefer to avoid that.

JW
    This has been a test of the Ubuntu Messaging System
    Had this been a real message, there would be real content.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: A good IPTC aware photo organizer

I am using the latest XnView (win) version in wine. IPTC support is great, other image manipulation/browsing tools as well.