Thread: [PPC] 8.04 Hardy for PPC included in new Ubuntu book

Beans
    Hidden!

[PPC] 8.04 Hardy for PPC included in new Ubuntu book

This is pretty rare: a PPC version of Ubuntu included in a recent book (along with the usual mainstream architecture support):

Beginning Ubuntu Linux - Third Edition
    by Keir Thomas and Jaime Sicam
    Apress publishers (c) 2008

They seem to be on top of things and the authors point out how 8.04 PPC is a community-based effort, as compared to the older Dapper 6.06 series which was commercially-supported. So nice to see it spelled out in print.

They don't go into detailed installation details for PPC beyond the basics, but anyone reading the book should have no troubles finding our community if they run into trouble. They do mention using the C-key to boot, and it is obvious from the text that they have Apple/Linux experience and are community minded.

The 8.04 PPC iso is on one side of a dual-sided DVD, so you have to burn the iso yourself. It is only the Desktop-Live version. (I wish they would have included the "alternate" version, but I'm not complaining.) I tested it by burning it, and it does boot without any problems on my G5 iMac.
    Last edited by stream303; July 15th, 2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typo
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: [PPC] 8.04 Hardy for PPC included in new Ubuntu book

thats good to hear. thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

My pleasure. Our Intel-based brethren should also be pleased to note that it contains some basic information on how to get started with boot-camp, refit, etc.

Of course nothing beats the in-depth coverage here in the forums, but it's enough to get started, or give hope to those that might have trouble initially.
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stream303 View Post
    My pleasure. Our Intel-based brethren should also be pleased to note that it contains some basic information on how to get started with boot-camp, refit, etc.
    cool!