Thread: how to install slackware and keep my ubuntu?

Beans

how to install slackware and keep my ubuntu?

I already have ubuntu but I want to install slackware on another partition so that I can choose at boot time. how to do it?

Beans

Re: how to install slackware and keep my ubuntu?

Google. Really it's as simple as a quick search.All you need to do is partition your hard drive and install slackware on the other partition. Then if you choose to install Lilo you will have to edit Lilo boot loader to include Ubuntu.

Beans

I would recommend installing Slackware as normal (to its own partition) but when you get to the part (near the end of the process) where it asks about installing LILO, select the option to "Install to partition's boot record". DO NOT INSTALL LILO to the MBR (master boot record).

This will permit you to modify GRUB to add the Slackware partition later.
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoode View Post
    I would recommend installing Slackware as normal (to its own partition) but when you get to the part (near the end of the process) where it asks about installing LILO, select the option to "Install to partition's boot record". DO NOT INSTALL LILO to the MBR (master boot record).

This will permit you to modify GRUB to add the Slackware partition later.
    really take that advice I can tell you from the first time I installed slack adding another linux os to grub is a lot easier than Lilo.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I got away with this GRUB configuration initially.

Code:
    title Slackware
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=normal
    I do not know why the second root needs to be +1. Nor do I know how this handles multiple kernels (as I have had no kernel updates yet).
    Angel's Egg: Go watch this, and then the movie. You have never seen anything like it.
    A shout-out to the Linux Mint team for their excellent port of Ubuntu.
    Use any OS worry-free with Derek's Virtual Box.

Beans

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=724817 take a look at that otherwise you are going to have to manually edit grub for every new kernel you get.