Thread: Screen goes black and freezes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Screen goes black and freezes

I have Hardy and it has worked well. But Now, today, I was downloading xubuntu 6.06 for my buddy. And the screen went black and froze, I say it froze because moving the mouse, typing, and pushing the power button didn't work. I dont what this to happen again, because i want to do something other then watching the progress bar.
    thx

Beans

Re: Screen goes black and freezes

If you can get to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) you can restart by logging in with your username and password, (the latter will not show anything on screen but will be entered) and then shutting down with
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    Why this happened in the first place I can't say.

In any case, why xubuntu 6.06 and not 8.04 or at least 7.10? 6.06 is old now and has been bettered by later versions.

Beans

He said that he wasn't able to type so that eliminate trying to shut it down from the terminal. As for when your screen goes black try restarting x by pressing ctrl + alt + backspace. I can't really tell you why your computer froze as it could be because of a variety of things that usually don't have anything to do with downloading files and I don't know what you were trying to do on your computer in the meantime.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have ubuntu 8.04 and i was downloading xubuntu 6.06 for my buddy's 5 year old computer. I was putting it in a CD for him. In the meantime i was surfing the web. Nothing else

Beans

As I said before it probably didn't freeze because of your download and surfing the internet at the same time. I can't tell you the reason why it froze either because I don't know your system, hardware, programs installed, etc etc which in other words means that it could be anything. You could check your system logs and see if you could find the cause there. I think though that it's safe to say that you should try to download the file again and go about your normal activity. If it happens again or becomes a recurring problem then you should worry but otherwise I think you're fine.