Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Get Wireless Connection on Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Cannot Get Wireless Connection on Ubuntu 12.04

Hello,

I'm a newbie to Linux but I managed to install Ubuntu 12.04 on an old Desktop Presario. Since there was no wireless card, I bought a wireless USB adapter (Mini USB 2.0 / 1.1 Wireless WiFi N LAN Adapter IEEE 802.11n 802.11g 802.11b - 943MiUSBMiF320).

The dealer said that the adapter is compatible with Linux.

I was not able to install the software from the CD (maybe the file is .exe?), but from what I ascertained, the driver that needs to be installed is the Realtek RTL8188CUS.

As soon as I plug in the wireless adapter, the computer is able to detect wireless signals, but it cannot connect to them. When I go to network settings and try to establish a connection to my WiFi, the computer does not respond.

Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot Get Wireless Connection on Ubuntu 12.04

Try this solution:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/12393...eless-security

Instead of using the nano editor, you could use: sudo nautilus -> browse to the files you have to modify and open those files with the standard gedit GUI editor.
    Last edited by BertN45; December 28th, 2012 at 12:34 AM.
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Beans
    Distro

Hi, Post the output of:

Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    For us to have a look anyway...

--
    Zu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I too would recommend the RealTek driver for that chipset. I got mine from here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/...&GetDown=false.

Select RTL8188CUS from the list. Download and extract the files, keeping track of the folder where the extracted files are. Navigate to that folder. One file should be install.sh. I just type this command in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo bash install.sh
    and sit still for a minute. Do keep the folder with the Realtek files. If you update and get a new image/kernel, the wifi adapter will cease to work. You'll need to rerun the script. Do note that you need to do this in an account with sudo privileges. Once you do it a time or two, it's a no-brainer and knowing how to extract and run a bash script is useful for other hardware as well. I use a script to install Brother printers, it works great.

Beans

Hi,

Here is what my system reads:
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 1
    bus info: usb@1:5
    logical name: wlan0
    serial: 00:0b:81:87:dc:1d
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8192cu multicast=yes wireless=unassociated

I believe I have installed the Real Tek driver previously, but it always reads busy

squakie is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

then:

follow this link: http://www.alexx.net/2012/06/adventu...untu-1204.html

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Kariotaki View Post
    Hi,

*-network
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8192cu multicast=yes wireless=unassociated

I believe I have installed the Real Tek driver previously, but it always reads busy
    OK you have the wrong driver and you have to black list that one, so it is not loaded automatically. Unfortunately the drivers provided by Realtek do not work with the newest Ubuntu releases. This guy provides a script that will compile and install the correct driver for you and blacklist the erroneous one. You can find the script for Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 at the end of the page.

http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/showth...606N-and-Linux

Copy/paste the script in a text file and save it as mwdinstall.sh and run it using sudo bash mwdinstall.sh - note that it needs running after any kernel upgrade.

It is the automated version of: http://askubuntu.com/questions/12393...eless-security

Please read the following instructions, which have been extracted from the complete script:
    #
    # This process may well work on other Ubuntu versions, other Linux distributions and also with other dongles based on the Realtek RTL8188CUS chip - see notes in comment lines at end.
    #
    # The dongle seemed to work to some extent with the kernel driver as incorportated initially in Ubuntu and Lubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 but was at best very unstable.
    #
    #If using Lubuntu and other "lightweight" linux versions you may need first to install compile (gcc) and make functionality, e.g through
    # sudo apt-get build-essential
    # BUT in Lubuntu 12.10 build-essential has vanished. Only the following was needed:
    # sudo apt-get install gcc
    # even though a search for gcc with Synaptic implied that it was already present.
    #
    # This script needs to be **run again** whenever the Linux kernel has been updated - typically in some semi-automatic software updates.
    # The kernel versions used in testing included 3.2.0-33 and 3.5.0-19 (3.2.0-23 up worked with earlier versions and probably will with this).
    #
    #################### GET THE DRIVER ##########################
    # You need the latest driver installation package - use Ethernet or download elsewhere and copy using a USB stick or whatever.
    # Get it from <http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ > by selecting
    # Communications network ICs
    # Wireless LAN IC#s
    # WLAN NIC
    # IEEE 802.11b/g/n Single-Chip
    # Software
    #then
    # ticking RTL8188CUS
    # clicking Go
    # selecting the download site for the Unix/Linux package
    # unzipping the downloaded file
    #
    # The downloaded file used when preparing this note was
    # RTL8188C_8192C_8192D_USB_linux_v3.4.2_3727.2012040 4.zip
    #
    # Best not to have the dongle attached yet to avoid a reboot later.
    #
    # ##################### Unpack it ########################
    # (e.g. as folder RTL8188C_8192C_8192D_USB_linux_v3.4.2_3727.2012040 4)

################### Change into the resulting folder #####################
    # e.g. cd RTL8188C_8192C_8192D_USB_linux_v3.4.2_3727.2012040 4
    #and copy mwdinstall.sh (this script) into it.

################### Run this script ######################
    # If you have done the above then running this script using, say,
    # sudo bash mwdinstall.sh
    # should do the following:
    #
    # 1) Find and report the kernel version
    # 2) Create or replace file blacklist-rtl8192 in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf to disable the possibly wrongly selected Ubuntu supplied version.
    # 3) Rename the said problematic driver to effectively disable it, just in case
    # 4) Run the install script you downloaded from Realtek.
    Last edited by BertN45; December 28th, 2012 at 04:52 AM.
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Beans

Thanks for the advice BertN45, but I fear that I've done something wrong. After following the steps described, I still cannot get a wireless connection.

I did not understand the cd command very well. I opened the folder RTL8188C_8192C_USB_linux_v3.4.4_4749.20121105 and placed mwdinstall.sh inside. Then I proceeded with bash mwdinstall.sh, but I am still not able to connect to the available networks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Kariotaki View Post
    Thanks for the advice BertN45, but I fear that I've done something wrong. After following the steps described, I still cannot get a wireless connection.

I did not understand the cd command very well. I opened the folder RTL8188C_8192C_USB_linux_v3.4.4_4749.20121105 and placed mwdinstall.sh inside. Then I proceeded with bash mwdinstall.sh, but I am still not able to connect to the available networks.
    What does the command

Code:
    lsmod
    show? One of the lines should show '8192cu'. If it shows 'rtl8192cu' that's the 'native' driver and will not work properly. You should not have to place anything in the extracted RTL* folder. There should be a 'install.sh' already present. That's the script I execute & it runs correctly. Here are the contents of my download from Realtek after being extracted. I renamed the folder to make typing easier and less error prone.
    rtl8188.png

You may have to blacklist any rtl related modules in order for the module created by executing the script (should be 8192cu) to drive your device.
    Last edited by kurt18947; December 29th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.

Beans

Although the Wi-Fi didn't work yesterday, when I turned on the computer today, it booted a bit funny and voila... it suddenly recognized the wireless connection. Thanks to all for your advice and guidance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast