Thread: Auto-backup (synchronize) of My Docs folder from XP machines??

Beans

Auto-backup (synchronize) of My Docs folder from XP machines??

My computer = Ubuntu Hardy Heron + Win XP Pro.
    Everybody else's computer in the house = XP Pro.

Question...

At work, we have a synchronize setup to which the user's my documents folder will be synchronized to their targeted share folder on the server. That means if they make any changes to my documents folder, it'll synchronize to the server in a relatively short time (normally immediately) and always does a full blown re-sync when they log on/off.

I'm curious to know if there's a solution to that but with using Ubuntu Hardy as a "server." Currently, my family has the ability of doing a start-run-192.168.my.ip and logging in to their share from a samba setup I have. But that requires them to copy + paste everything and constantly overwrite existing files to transfer even the newest stuff over. It works, and in fact it works great, but I'm curious to know if there's something more efficient.

If I could somehow just link their my documents to synchronize to a certain folder on my samba drive, that would enable me to have a backup of their files so if they get yet another blue screen (it's been a common occurence) then, we're covered with the most recent backups.

Any suggestions?

Beans

Re: Auto-backup (synchronize) of My Docs folder from XP machines??

Just wondering, I read somewhere I can use rsync for this... that'd be a sweet deal. How do I go about doing this?

What's the recommended way? By computer names, or IPs?