Thread: Can you downgrade from Alpha 2?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Can you downgrade from Alpha 2?

I upgraded to Intrepid Ibex Alpha 2 (the second alpha release of Ubuntu 8.10) with the instructions here:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/alpha2

I had reported my "no sound" bug on Launchpad they suggested I upgrade to Alpha 2. I did that, but now I can't log on normally or after I enter my screen name and password the screen goes white and stays that way. My mouse moves across it but it just doesn't work in any other way. I have to log in using a Gnome default session. When I upgraded, it asked me to remove approx. 30 packages that were "obsolete" and now when I try to do some things, like watch videos it tells me that I can't but doesn't tell me why. My custom theme doesn't work anymore either.

Is there a way to undo the upgrade or am I s.o.l.?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Can you downgrade from Alpha 2?

Quote Originally Posted by VexVishnu View Post
    I upgraded to Intrepid Ibex Alpha 2 (the second alpha release of Ubuntu 8.10) with the instructions here:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/alpha2

I had reported my "no sound" bug on Launchpad they suggested I upgrade to Alpha 2. I did that, but now I can't log on normally or after I enter my screen name and password the screen goes white and stays that way. My mouse moves across it but it just doesn't work in any other way. I have to log in using a Gnome default session. When I upgraded, it asked me to remove approx. 30 packages that were "obsolete" and now when I try to do some things, like watch videos it tells me that I can't but doesn't tell me why. My custom theme doesn't work anymore either.

Hi and first question is why are you using intrepid? Intrepid is in the testing stage and is not recommended for a everyday system. Have you tried to boot into a previous kernel if you updated from Hardy?

Re: Can you downgrade from Alpha 2?

You can't undo an upgrade. You need to reinstall.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Question Re: Can you downgrade from Alpha 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    You can't undo an upgrade. You need to reinstall.
    There should be some spiffy ways around this by booting up using a LiveCD (or another Linux boot CD) and chrooting your main partition. Then perhaps editing your /etc/apt/sources.list , changing all of your lines back to hardy's repositories and then performing a:

sudo apt-get update

then:

sudo apt-get install
    or sudo apt-get upgrade

Would this not work?

Are we sure there are no work arounds?

IF NOTHING ELSE, by all means PLEASE remember to login to your system via a Linux/other bootdisk and grab your /home/* directory/directories so that you can restore these easily (or if they are on a seperate partition -- even better!).

Sincerely,

Craig Huffstetler

P.S. - They really should have a way to downgrade