Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Partition definitions

Beans

Re: Partition definitions

The install won't let me make the "/mnt/download" mount point, it only gives me /dos or /windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JR Tyner View Post
    The install won't let me make the "/mnt/download" mount point, it only gives me /dos or /windows.
    You know that partitioning deletes all the things, right? Just wanted to make sure you know. So backup your files.

Now start the ubuntu 8.04 live cd. Do not install anything yet. Just start ubuntu on the live cd. There is an application called partition editor (or gparted) in the menu

System > Admin. > Partition editor.

There is also another live cd which contains nothing but that program and it's available from here:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

You download it, burn it, put it in and then boot up using it.

Or if you have the ubuntu 8.04 desktop cd then the partition editor is already there as I said above.

Start the partition editor. Choose the disk from the drop down menu on the top right if it's not already chosen.

Now it'll list all the partitions on that disk in the below list. If there are any partitions then right click on them and choose delete. Now when you are left with no partitions on that disk you can create your own partitions as you want.

The way you make new partitions is to right click the unused (unpartitioned) line and choose new. Then you'll enter the size and type info of your partition there.

At this point you do NOT tell the mountpoints. You just make partitions of this and that size. Mountpoints will be added when you install ubuntu. Now we are only dividing the disk into partitions of your choice.

Actually, why don't you tell me what partitioning scheme you've decided so that I can tell exactly what to do. I'm waiting for your answer. More importantly, do you already have Windows on that disk and do you want to keep it?
    Last edited by Vivaldi Gloria; July 21st, 2008 at 11:19 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vivaldi Gloria View Post
    You know that partitioning deletes all the things, right? Just wanted to make sure you know. So backup your files.
    Yeah. I learned that the hard way a long time ago...

Actually, why don't you tell me what partitioning scheme you've decided so that I can tell exactly what to do. I'm waiting for your answer. More importantly, do you already have Windows on that disk and do you want to keep it?
    I was going to do Ubuntu only. But after my failed attempt last night, and not being able to get online with the LiveCD, I figured I should learn a little more before switching. I use to use a Knoppix Live CD and I had no problem connecting.

I knew before hand to back up, and I just reinstalled Windows and used the restore point I had saved to DVDs.

The way you make new partitions is to right click the unused (unpartitioned) line and choose new. Then you'll enter the size and type info of your partition there.
    It limited me to only making 4 primary partitions.

At this point you do NOT tell the mountpoints. You just make partitions of this and that size. Mountpoints will be added when you install ubuntu. Now we are only dividing the disk into partitions of your choice.
    I guess something simular to this:

Windows - 35 GB - NTFS
    / - 15GB - EXT3
    /var/mail - 1GB - XFS
    swap - 3GB - SWAP
    /home - 35GB - XFS
    /mnt/download - 11GB - NTFS

I might enlarge the /mnt/download by shrinking the Windows partition, and use /mnt/download as my shared data partition.

Edit: I changed / to EXT3. I've heard that XFS is better for partitions on laptops that can loose power, but I have trouble installing if /boot is not EXT3. I could make a partition for /boot that is EXT3, but I'll await your thoughts on it.
    Last edited by JR Tyner; July 21st, 2008 at 12:43 PM.

Beans

It limited me to only making 4 primary partitions.

I guess something simular to this:

Windows - 35 GB - NTFS
    / - 15GB - EXT3
    /var/mail - 1GB - XFS
    swap - 3GB - SWAP
    /home - 35GB - XFS
    Bios can detect only 4 primary partitions so you cannot make more than 4. But the OS can see as many as you want. So you make the forth an extended partition and put the remaining partitions in it as logical partitions.

Something like this would work:

First - Primary Partition:
    Windows - 35 GB - NTFS

Second - Primary Partition:
    / - 15GB - EXT3

Third - Primary Partition:

Fourth - Extended Partition containing the logical partitions:
    /var/mail - 1GB - XFS
    swap - 3GB - SWAP
    /home - 35GB - XFS

You arrange these with partition manager. Again, At this point you do NOT tell the mountpoints. You just make partitions of this and that size. Mountpoints will be added when you install ubuntu. Now we are only dividing the disk into partitions of your choice.

After you make these partitions you can install windows & ubuntu. When the partitioning option in ubuntu comes choose the guided option to give the mountpoints you want.

About different filesystems. I tried xfs once. But I didn't see any differences in daily usage. So I use only ext3 now. Ubuntu's bootloader GRUB works with them without any problems. So it's a matter of personal choice.

Are you sure that net connection fails with the live ubuntu cd? That's worrying.

Beans

Are you sure that net connection fails with the live ubuntu cd? That's worrying.
    It won't pick up my wireless connection at all. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1521 with a Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card.

Beans

It won't pick up my wireless connection at all. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1521 with a Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card.
    If I were you I'd search these forums for your card. If nothing comes up then start a new thread in harwdare & laptop subforums about it. I have never used wireless so I cannot help you there.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678