Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After suspending and waking up, the screen flickers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: After suspending and waking up, the screen flickers

Upgraded to Karmic...

And it FIXED THE PROBLEM!

The upgrade seems to have caused troubles with Xfce (I can't login, but I never use it anyways)
    so I haven't tried it from there yet...but suspend works fine from the login screen and in
    Fluxbox with the /usr/sbin/pm-suspend command.

The solution most likely lies with the change of the Intel video drivers.

I hope this helps others as well.

-Ryan
    --
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

Beans

Re: After suspending and waking up, the screen flickers

Hello,

I just installed Karmic and I'm experiencing heavy screen flickering after resume. I found out that it is somehow linked to my ps2 mouse usage. When I move the mouse as down as it gets, the screen stabilizes, and when moving up, the screen flicker starts, and further, the flicker pattern is directly dependant on the position of the mouse.

And if not enough evidence, I unloaded psmouse module and the screen flickering was gone. Then I loaded it again, and boom, the flickering came back.

I have intel 965G card, and I have used kernel mode setting already with Arch linux and never experienced post-resume flickering there, so this is either kernel related, or Karmic related.

EDIT:
    suspend-resume works without flicker with 'sudo s2ram --force' which gives the output:

Switching from vt7 to vt1
    fbcon fb0 state 1
    fbcon fb0 state 0
    switching back to vt7

Also about the mouse movement; to be more precise, the mouse at bottom right corner removes the flickering. Anywhere else, it will introduce the flickering. And the virtual terminals (vt1-6) are not showing the console login prompt, but rather some bluish background. But after s2ram, everything is back to normal - no flickering and normal looking vt's.

My gut feeling says that the problem lies somewhere in the framebuffer and how it is not properly initialized after Karmic's own resume code. Arch linux used the same KDE4 'Suspend to RAM' from K-menu. Don't really know what they are doing internally.
    Last edited by nbd; November 1st, 2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Added information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hmm... I just found this thread and it would seem I am suffering the same problems with KSM turned-on and an Intel graphics card running the Xorg-edgers stuff.

Any ideas where I can start a debug?
    Asus EeePC 1005HA: ElementaryOS Luna | Asus X501A: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr | Apple iMac G4: Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander | LG Optimus F3 | Nexus 10 Cyanogenmod 11

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moore.bryan View Post
    Any ideas where I can start a debug?
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu

But I bet it's already been started. Nevertheless, you should add to it with as much info as possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I hope I don't seem too totally absurd to say, I had a screen that was flickering and someone told me my CRT could be overheating. I began shutting down every night and turning the screen off if I were going to be away from it for some hours.

The problem has gone away; That was an easy fix for me. (It never happens now.)
    It's not so much about weathering the storm as it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by editrix View Post
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu

But I bet it's already been started. Nevertheless, you should add to it with as much info as possible.
    Yeah, I saw a couple of bugs already reported, but they seemed to be relatively old and as far as I could tell, none were on Karmic using the Xorg-Edgers PPA.
    Asus EeePC 1005HA: ElementaryOS Luna | Asus X501A: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr | Apple iMac G4: Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander | LG Optimus F3 | Nexus 10 Cyanogenmod 11

Beans

GeneralRepublic,

Thanks to your post - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...57&postcount=4, I tried "/etc/acpi/sleep.sh" when I saw incessant flickering. The machine went into suspend mode. I woke it up and the flickering is gone!! I think lot of users are having this problem and GeneralRepublic has an easy solution.

Otherwise it was so stressfull in seeing this flicker and keep moving the mouse to avoid the flickering.

Xubuntu 9.10 + Fluxbox (from ubuntu rep). Compaq nc6220
    *-display:0
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
    version: 03
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=i915 latency=0

Beans

Hello, I just installed Linux Mint 9 (based on ubuntu 10.4) and the suspend/resume worked fine until I disabled the screen locking on resume (too annoying) from gconf-editor (App->Gnome power manager->Lock) and then the flickering started to appear again.

s2ram --force works fine without flicker

sudo /etc/acpi/sleep.sh didn't suspend, just gave errors:

cat: /var/lib/acpi-support/system-manufacturer: No such file or directory
    cat: /var/lib/acpi-support/system-product-name: No such file or directory
    cat: /var/lib/acpi-support/system-version: No such file or directory
    cat: /var/lib/acpi-support/bios-version: No such file or directory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have this problem on an Acer Aspire 5100 dual boot Vista/Lucid Lynx. I tried a few things from a couple of posts on the subject, but to no avail.

I ran
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C video
    and got

*-display
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M]
    vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
    physical id: 5
    bus info: pci@0000:01:05.0
    version: 00
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 66MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list rom
    configuration: driver=radeon latency=66 mingnt=8
    resources: irq:17 memory:c8000000-cfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:9000(size=256) memory:c0100000-c010ffff memory:c0120000-c013ffff(prefetchable)
    Thank you for any help?
    Last edited by nosmokenofire; October 5th, 2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: I made a mistake in the inital post

Beans

Hi nosmokenofire:

I hope someone gives you a more positive answer than I can. Ever since I switched to Linux Mint (which is Ubuntu with most of the bugs fixed) I haven't had the problem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast