Thread: OpenDNS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

OpenDNS

I have been using it for my laptop.

I don't see a difference yet.

But should I put them into the routers configuration so that all pc on the router uses them?

Are they faster?
    Better for gaming?

Thanks

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: OpenDNS

It's all a matter of preference. Your ISP's DNS servers may work perfectly fine. OpenDNS is supposed to have better protection against fraudulent websites. If this is what you want, then go ahead and stick with it. If you don't like it, you can always switch back to using your ISP's DNS servers. Essentially, use what works!

Beans

I have used it for some time now. I'm not really sure why I switched. I guess I wanted less reliance on my ISP's service (I'm not really a fan of Comcast right now.)

Just use these settings for your DNS server in your routers config. You might see changes, you might not.

Primary DNS Server : 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS Server : 208.67.220.220

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Not noticing DNS is a usually a pretty good indicator that it is working well!

Beans

i guess having a dns other than the one used by your isp could give you a bit more of privacy....thats a good thing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It seemed to have made no difference for me, but I use it because I can filter certain categories, and plus, OpenDNS is not vulnerable to the DNS attacks as of recent.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm personally not a big fan of OpenDNS, because of all the gadgets it has, which are more annoying than useful to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS...rt_redirection

However, if those issues are not a concern to you, by all means use it. It is indeed very reliable, and the resolution speeds are more than decent.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

I love it. I was having issues with my ISP's DNS servers being quite slow and this felt like I'd gotten a bandwidth upgrade. Never had one ounce of trouble. I put it in the router so all the computers in the house use it.