Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experimental Computer!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Experimental Computer!

Slitaz

http://slitaz.org/en/

* Root filesystem taking about 80 MB and ISO image less than 30 MB.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by atomkarinca View Post
    Puppy Linux is a nice distro and it would definitely work well on that machine.
    +1
    Try TEENpup though that may be a bit much.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you're springing for a new monitor, think about spending a little more and getting some more ram. By way of comparison, I have an old thinkpad 600E with a Pentium 2/366 and 288 MB ram (maxed out unfortunately). It runs dapper with the regular gnome desktop OK (slow/choppy flash playback but video is otherwise OK) IIRC it ran hardy from the live CD too but took a long time to start.

If your celeron system can take 512MB it should run most any distro, don't look for it be be a speed demon of course.
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lswb View Post
    If you're springing for a new monitor, think about spending a little more and getting some more ram. By way of comparison, I have an old thinkpad 600E with a Pentium 2/366 and 288 MB ram (maxed out unfortunately). It runs dapper with the regular gnome desktop OK (slow/choppy flash playback but video is otherwise OK) IIRC it ran hardy from the live CD too but took a long time to start.

If your celeron system can take 512MB it should run most any distro, don't look for it be be a speed demon of course.
    Oh yes, of course. I just want it to be a hit'n'run kind of PC...just to experiment with programs, apps and compilations that might be dangerous to my precious filessystem on my laptop...I'm gonna try and buy more RAM and let it run Ubuntu (and Puppy Linux from a USB drive) just to test out things that I normally wouldn't on my lappy
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    ... or you could install the server (CLI-only) version, and then install a lightweight window manager on top.
    There are three different versions of CLI-only versions of ubuntu:

(1) The alternative desktop cd with the F4 option (install CLI system)

(2) Minimal CD available from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

(3) Server CD

As far as I can see (1) and (2) install exactly the same basic ubuntu CLI version. I really like this version. It has no server stuff. Useful as a base system for a custom system build. For example install openbox. Or just use it as is. Good for old boxes. I use one in an old computer to practice bash and listen to music using moc. The install of (2) takes longer than (1) because it downloads everyting from the net. So use (2) if you have a decent connection.

(3) contains server programs. Don't install this unless you are making a server. Having non-used server programs on a destop computer is bad on 3 accounts: a) Takes space b) Updates take more time & bandwidth c) security: no point in programs which listens to ports.

On a side note, also look at TinyMe:

http://tinyme.mypclinuxos.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Vivaldi Gloria View Post
    There are three different versions of CLI-only versions of ubuntu
    That's a good point. The only time I did that kind of install was quite a long time ago, when the Alternate CLI install and the server install were the same thing.

Good catch!
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Good catch!
    Thanks mate.

Actually, there is a fourth one i didn't mention: ubuntu Jeos available from

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whati...eredition/jeos

This is a very light version which has hardly any drivers on it. So do NOT install it in a computer because it won't recognize your hardware. This version is supposed to be run in a virtual sytem like vmware, virtualbox, etc. "This combination of reduced size and optimised performance ensures that Ubuntu JeOS Edition delivers a highly efficient use of server resources in large virtual deployments."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by AnLGP View Post
    Slitaz

http://slitaz.org/en/

* Root filesystem taking about 80 MB and ISO image less than 30 MB.
    I remember seeing this on Distrowatch and it had garnered positive many comments.

I would like to use this on my old Compaq Amanda laptop, but can't. The fan needs software control the BIOS doesn't control it like my desktop. Also sound was a big issue with that laptop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12