Thread: I don't have permissions to copy from a CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question I don't have permissions to copy from a CD?

I'm having trouble copying some files from a DVD I made onto my Ubuntu Machine, I try copying the only folder on the DVD to my home directory and it pops up saying 'The folder "Term 2" cannot be handled because you do not have permissions to it.

I tried doing a

sudo chmod 777 /media/cdrom0 but it comes up saying its a read only filesystem?

I did try copying the folder to my iPod before I tried a DVD and it came up saying its a read only file system, I didn't fancy messing about with the mount options incase it ****** up my iPod..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: I don't have permissions to copy from a CD?

Quote Originally Posted by Dansaycool View Post
    I'm having trouble copying some files from a DVD I made onto my Ubuntu Machine, I try copying the only folder on the DVD to my home directory and it pops up saying 'The folder "Term 2" cannot be handled because you do not have permissions to it.

I tried doing a

sudo chmod 777 /media/cdrom0 but it comes up saying its a read only filesystem?

I did try copying the folder to my iPod before I tried a DVD and it came up saying its a read only file system, I didn't fancy messing about with the mount options incase it ****** up my iPod..
    I'm not sure if it would work, but did you try command line? Open a terminal and try something like:

Code:
    sudo cp -R /media/cdrom ~/home/yourusername/Term2
    EDIT: I'm not sure if it would need to be /media/cdrom or /media/cdrom/foldername. Anybody clear that up?
    Last edited by solwic; July 13th, 2008 at 10:08 PM.