Thread: Impressive

Beans

Thumbs up Impressive

I want to give kudos, not only to this forum, also to the contributors of Ubuntu.
    I installed Ubuntu on my Acer Aspire 3000 laptop. Just a Sempron 2800, 2gigs of ram and a Seagate Momentus hdd. Ubuntu detected all my hardware except the wireless adapter. I came to the forum looking for a solution. By doing a quick search in the forums, I was able to get the Broadcom driver via ndiswrapper setup in a snap. I used Linux in it's infancy back in 1997 , BSD, with minimal exposure since then. I have become disenchanted with MircoShaft, not only because I have been an IT Professional for over a decade supporting crappy software for a living, but also because of the cost of software on the WinTel platform. I have a streak of Cyber-Punk in me, and believe that all information should be free, and Open Source is a great start. Thanks to all that have the passion for writing quality code, supporting newbs like myself, and keeping Open Source a quaility and viable option. Ubuntu has got me tweaking again, it has been a long time since I wanted to come home and install a new OS on a computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Impressive

I know how you feel, doing nothing but supporting Windows boxen all day long. If it wasn't for Ubuntu I doubt I would be using my home PC as much as I do or itching to build more systems with Ubuntu as the OS. Welcome to the community.

Beans

Thanks for welcoming me aboard! I am happy with this distro and hope the future ones are as nice or better.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by too_sick_for_you
    I want to give kudos, not only to this forum, also to the contributors of Ubuntu.
    I installed Ubuntu on my Acer Aspire 3000 laptop. Just a Sempron 2800, 2gigs of ram and a Seagate Momentus hdd. Ubuntu detected all my hardware except the wireless adapter. I came to the forum looking for a solution. By doing a quick search in the forums, I was able to get the Broadcom driver via ndiswrapper setup in a snap. I used Linux in it's infancy back in 1997 , BSD, with minimal exposure since then. I have become disenchanted with MircoShaft, not only because I have been an IT Professional for over a decade supporting crappy software for a living, but also because of the cost of software on the WinTel platform. I have a streak of Cyber-Punk in me, and believe that all information should be free, and Open Source is a great start. Thanks to all that have the passion for writing quality code, supporting newbs like myself, and keeping Open Source a quaility and viable option. Ubuntu has got me tweaking again, it has been a long time since I wanted to come home and install a new OS on a computer.
    Ditto on all of the above!

I joined this forum yesterday, downloaded Ubuntu last night and just installed it this evening on one of my test computers. The install was absolutely flawless...the best I've ever seen of any OS. I see many days driving this OS to find out just how practical it is as a replacement for Windows. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'll ever be able to totally ween myself off of Windows since it's used so widely but I'd love to be in the position of only having to use Windows when compatibility requires it.

Hank

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt
    I'd love to be in the position of only having to use Windows when compatibility requires it.
    I'm at that point now. It's ok, but sometimes when I just have to boot into windows I feel uncomfortable.
    Like it's my fault that I don't have the time or patience to figure out how to watch a 264 encoded video in linux, or get this scanner working (I've used it with breezy, but hoary doesn't like it), or make a DVD easily, or print nicely (Canon i560).
    Once I'm there I usually spend too long on Google Earth (which apparently is being ported to linux.)
    Some people say I'm a man of few words, but the fact is that most people talk too much without actually saying anything.