Thread: An experimental java based msn client

Beans

An experimental java based msn client

I know there are probably many such open source java based msn clients out there, however my real intension is to get used to the deeper part of java, where I can learn new things such as sockets etc..

For the initial phase of my project, I am only planning the messenging between clients part.

So simply: Program starts -> a simple gui that asks for username password -> logging to the msn server using these inputs -> requesting the user list of the currently logged account -> showing the online / offline users. When user clicks on a name, it simply opens another window to deal with messenging between this user.

I have an intermediate java/programming knowledge, I have also parallel programming(threads etc) under my belt even tho I am no way a master of it. Same applies for swing and gui creation.

So beside the swing part, what parts do you recommend me to look at? Any article and such source will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by babacan; July 13th, 2008 at 06:19 PM.

Beans

Re: An experimental java based msn client

oh meanwhile, I am not planning an applet application but a true desktop one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: An experimental java based msn client

It will be interesting to hear how you get on with this project.

If I where you I would start by having a look at the source code of a project like Pidgin. Pidgin is an IM application that can interface with MSN. It is not written in Java but should give you a sort of bottom up approach to understanding the MSN protocol.

Also have a look at this.

http://www.hypothetic.org/docs/msn/