Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why do you own a Mac and why did you install Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Why do you own a Mac and why did you install Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieP View Post
    ... until some way comes along to free up my DRM'd music collection. And given a recent "Linux voids your warranty" experience at the Apple Store, I would not advise anyone who's not already strapped to Apple to start up with them now. There's better places to put your Ubuntu.
    Hello

How come installing Ubuntu on a macbook or any apple computer or laptop voids the warranty? I've being reading the warranty conditions that are given at the apple website and there is nothing stating directly or indirectly that installing linux will void warranty .

Around a month ago i got as a present a macbook, and i've being loving the experience, as a laptop i find it really well built, and the OS really good stable and user friendly, i would recommend anyone that need adobe suite to get one,but there is a problem for me a big problem when you you are used to opensource and free software like in linux community, the existing software for mac it's actually quite expensive even small apps that gnome or kde come with them as standart they will cost u some money.

Now i don't think that there is much of an hassle on making your family to use ubuntu, since i stopped using windows, i started preaching about ubuntu at home to everyone and now all the computers at home have got ubuntu installed, no one complains about it, and everyone found it easy to use. Not everything was straight forward but everytime that something stops working or they need something i just install it myself. Maybe what you need it's to try some good things that gnome has to offer such awn(avant-window-navigator), or "gnome do" both on my opinion great add-on to the gnome desktop, and that actually help gnome to feel a bit more like Mac OS.
    In my opinion "gnome do actually works better than quicksilver on the mac OS."
    Hope this helps.
    Regards.
    Last edited by Derviansoul; July 16th, 2008 at 04:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by babyhuey View Post
    Luck of the draw my friend.
    Whilst I can accept I may have had good luck. I do think that overall apple hardware on ppc at least has good build quality and component matching. Many people only consider specifications and price and this is much more hit and miss in a pc world. Some pc's I've seen have the build quality of a biscuit tin, and their price advantage has soon gone after their MB or processor has fried its self.

Apples move to intel makes them more competitive price wise with quality pcs of similar spec, but Apples very limited range and generally good build quality and attention to detail (that comes from a restricted range) should offer advantages over these also.

The usually good quality included software needs to be taken into consideration as well as the option to tri boot, if you need such a thing.

I don't so my next purchase may not be a mac and with the move to intel several thousand dollars of my legally purchased software is becoming almost worthless by the day. Still onwards and upwards, Debian offers all I need now apart from the real noobie friendliness of the Ubuntu forums, still horses for courses and the one real advantage gnu/linux offers is choice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oswaldkelso View Post
    Whilst I can accept I may have had good luck. I do think that overall apple hardware on ppc at least has good build quality and component matching. Many people only consider specifications and price and this is much more hit and miss in a pc world. Some pc's I've seen have the build quality of a biscuit tin, and their price advantage has soon gone after their MB or processor has fried its self.

Apples move to intel makes them more competitive price wise with quality pcs of similar spec, but Apples very limited range and generally good build quality and attention to detail (that comes from a restricted range) should offer advantages over these also.

The usually good quality included software needs to be taken into consideration as well as the option to tri boot, if you need such a thing.

I don't so my next purchase may not be a mac and with the move to intel several thousand dollars of my legally purchased software is becoming almost worthless by the day. Still onwards and upwards, Debian offers all I need now apart from the real noobie friendliness of the Ubuntu forums, still horses for courses and the one real advantage gnu/linux offers is choice.
    While I agree PPC Macs had good build quality, its not any better than a pc with quality parts for the same cash. PPC Mac do compare favorably to a bargain bin PC. Apples to apples though, its luck of the draw.

I don't think ibook/macbook build quality is anything to brag about.

I am an OS ***** and the prospect of tri-booting was too hard to resist.

Beans

I switched to Mac from PC for the ease of use and the applications that came with iLife '06. I find/found it easier to use iPhoto, iDVD, and iMovie than the Windows alternatives. Also, one of my big hobbies is guitar and Garageband was an easy way to get into digital recording (now I use Audacity).

I am trying Ubuntu because I am away from home at a summer internship and am living in a confined space. So confined that it would be difficult for me to engange in my normal activities (guitar and video games). Therefore I needed something to occupy my time with and I had heard about Linux so I read up on it and decided to give it a try. Basically it was a result of me trying to fend off boredom.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234