Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you own a Mac and why did you install Linux?

Beans

Why do you own a Mac and why did you install Linux?

Hello there,

As a current PC user of Vista and Ubuntu (see specs and sig below), I'm interested to know why you guys have decided to:

1. Buy Apple products
    2. install Linux on your computers, either for dual boot, virtualization or to replace OS X.

I am contemplating buying an iMac someday (when I have some money) because the OS is more solid than Windows, the software and hardware are optimized for each other and you don't have to tweak the system to get it to work like in Linux. I don't mind the tweaking myself (command line, etc) but my wife and children don't deserve that hassle. I plan to install Ubuntu and Vista and triple boot with rEFIT.

Anyway, back to you... why did you make the move? Why Apple? Why Linux?
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans

Re: Why do you own a Mac and why did you install Linux?

I was sick of the BSOD (blue screen of death ) and moreso the constant slowing and crashing.

since i have used linux if a program has crashed it has restarted and worked perfectly, also almost everything i want to use windows for linux works with, only bit of trouble is Adobe crap, and a little trouble wiht connecting to the internet through wine on some programs, but still..

its ben that good that i havent been bothered to reinstall windows yet

people say linux is harder to use than windows, well with a community like this with the response time like this, it makes a pais support system look rubbish, also typing sudo apt-get install for me is better than having to manually download a file or even go out and buy it (lazy mans install )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

We used to use Macs for our photography business to display photos at horse shows. The Mac programs we were using at the time were excrutiatingly slow and crashed about once every 20-30 minutes; not exactly great for business. My girlfriend finally got fed up with it so we replaced the entire network with Windows machines and haven't had a problem since. That still leaves us with 5 Macs sitting around doing nothing however. I decided to try installing Ubuntu on one of them to see if I could get it to play nice with the Windows PC's. The Ubuntu-iMac can at least see all the computers on the network but it can't see the shared files. I'm still working on it so hopefully it will work out.

Beans

From my point of view you pretty much answered your own question,... "because the OS is more solid". In both cases.
    I think the idea of "open source" is pretty groovy and would really like to migrate to linux fully but am still looking for a professional film editing app.

re... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y89wBYVHkY4 ...... and if this man was in charge of all the worlds food I'd really have to think about starving myself!

Beans

the only way im getting anything with an aple logo on it is:

a) its a beatles cd.

b) its another beatles cd

c) someone gave me an ipod / macbook or something.

if its c, id sell it and get a regular drm free consumer friendly pc. how i hate white ****.

its not that their aps arent great. its just that they are too restrictive on what you can do with their stuff, or where you can do it.

ipod - tied to itunes.

iphone - tied to at&t (or whoever)

osX - tied to that bunch of overpriced crap.

i dont say that they shouldnt make itunes, sell iphones to at&t or bundle osx to overpriced hardware. i just think they shouldnt force you into a market.

i never felt better in my life than the day i could install linux (i had tried in the past....and failed).. its not that im a open source purist, i just hate being bossed around. and thats what apple and Ms do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I got into Mac with the very first iMacs after having failed at getting Linux to be usable on my Sony Vaio desktop in the mid 1990s. With time I bought into the whole Apple "experience": iTunes, iPods, AppleTV and iPhone. After getting an Intel iMac I heard about Ubuntu through the Parallels forum and gave it a try (this was Fall 2006). After discovering rEFIt, I've been using one distro or another ever since, but lately Ubuntu again. Unfortunately, my hard disk full of DRM'd music along with a home media center setup using the AppleTV pretty much keep me tied to Apple until some way comes along to free up my DRM'd music collection. And given a recent "Linux voids your warranty" experience at the Apple Store, I would not advise anyone who's not already strapped to Apple to start up with them now. There's better places to put your Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieP View Post
    There's better places to put your Ubuntu.
    id say: there are better places to spend your money on.

you are the living example of why i hate apple so much...DRM'ed music

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieP View Post
    And given a recent "Linux voids your warranty" experience at the Apple Store, I would not advise anyone who's not already strapped to Apple to start up with them now. There's better places to put your Ubuntu.
    Do you mean that if I install Ubuntu on the Mac I void the warranty? What sort of joke is that? What about FreeBSD, or Windows for that purpose? Is it actually written anywhere???
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans

I dont know how true that is although i was told (can't remember who) that if you have a dual boot situation with windows and any hardware problems that arise whilst using windows or using internet through windows then the warranty is void.

how they go about proving that is another question..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by the8thstar View Post
    Do you mean that if I install Ubuntu on the Mac I void the warranty? What sort of joke is that? What about FreeBSD, or Windows for that purpose?
    What I was told at the Apple Store was that any OS other than Windows can only be installed (without voiding warranty) in Parallels or another VM within OSX. The only OS they "allow" to be natively intalled is Windows. I agree this is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast