Thread: How do I format existing NTFS partitons to EXT3 from the Ubuntu OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question (SOLVED) How do I format existing NTFS partitons to EXT3 from the Ubuntu OS?

I have a hard drive, with 3 partitions.

2 are both NTFS or windows partitions for storage
    1 has the ubuntu install on it

I would like to format the other two ntfs partitions over to EXT3 from within ubuntu.

Is there a GUI program I can download from the repositories that will guide me in this process?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by tmcarson1; July 14th, 2008 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Inquiry solved.

Beans

Re: How do I format existing NTFS partitons to EXT3 from the Ubuntu OS?

I believe that gparted can do this. Just install gparted from the repositories. If it's on the same drive as your active partition, you might have to run it from the LiveCD. Not entirely sure.

Just to be sure - you know that changing the file format of a partition will completely erase any data on it, right?

sandysandy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

have a look here

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

regards
    Sandy

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by estyles View Post
    I believe that gparted can do this. Just install gparted from the repositories. If it's on the same drive as your active partition, you might have to run it from the LiveCD. Not entirely sure.

Just to be sure - you know that changing the file format of a partition will completely erase any data on it, right?
    Thanks for the reply, will check into that. And yes I do realize it will erase things on there, but I need to since I am switching to ubuntu and dropping windows.

Thanks again for the help!

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: How do I format existing NTFS partitons to EXT3 from the Ubuntu OS?

Quote Originally Posted by sandysandy View Post
    have a look here

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

regards
    Ok, that worked perfectly, I reformatted the partition to EXT3 now, and it is mounted, BUT, it won't give me access to read and write to it now.

Can anyone tell me how to change the permissions on this partition, I would like to use it as storage for my ubuntu media files.

Thank you

Beans

If you can't change the permissions as your current user, try doing
    Code:
    sudo nautilus
    in terminal, then browsing to the mount point (probably /media/disk or something simlar), and right-click, choose Properties, and check the Permissions tab.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you're switching to ubuntu, why don't you just delete those partitions and then expand your ubuntu partiton instead of having 3 separate ones?

Also, if anyone finds a solution to the drive issue, I'm having a problem changing the permissions on my MicroSD card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Go to add/remove and install "Storage Device Manager".
    Once installed go to System>Admin>Storage Device Manager.
    When the program starts chose on the left column the partition (sdb, sdf etc., you can see it in gparted).
    On the right give a name to your partition "ex. external, data etc.". Then click the "assistant" button and on the first tab check "the file system is mounted at boot time",if you want the partition to be always mounted and at misc tab check "user allowed to use reserved space" and next to "resuid=" put your username.
    Press ok and then the "mount" button. Your partition will be mounted and you will see an icon on your desktop and you will have write permissions.