Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Update removed firefox 3?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Update removed firefox 3?

Eh, I just updated a bit ago and according to Synaptic I have Firefox 3.0.1 wtf. That version doesn't even exist on the Mozilla site and just broke about half my extensions. When I tried to revert to the previous version in Synaptic, it wants to remove the same programs as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, you have the proposed updates repositories enabled. That could be part of the problem, but it seems as if you have some other sketchy repositories too (an Intrepid Ibex one?).

I'd stick with the ordinary Main, Restricted, Universe, and Multiverse repositories, Reload, and then do an update with Update Manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I got this problem on my laptop but not on my stationary computer, both run hardy but one is 32-bit and the other 64-bit.
    After a bit of tinkering with the sources.list it seems like the problem is in hardy-proposed. Removing it and reloading the package list should let you install the updates.

EDIT: forgot to mention that this only happened on the 64-bit computer, the laptop.
    Last edited by Pettman; July 13th, 2008 at 11:33 AM.
    Windows belongs in /dev/null and not on /dev/hd*|/dev/sd* !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gunashekar View Post
    Either avoid partial updates or check the list of packages that will be removed before allowing the update. Yes, update manager tried to remove firefox this morning on Hardy. I guess the developers are working on the problem and I would wait for it to be corrected. I thought such problems happen only when you are running alpha / development versions. Perhaps more care is needed before making updates on stable versions.
    Right, had this sort of problems, the best way as you said is to check the candidate packages for removal.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grim4593 View Post
    Eh, I just updated a bit ago and according to Synaptic I have Firefox 3.0.1 wtf. That version doesn't even exist on the Mozilla site and just broke about half my extensions. When I tried to revert to the previous version in Synaptic, it wants to remove the same programs as mentioned earlier in the thread.
    Please check the following file about the update:
    Code:
    /usr/share/doc/firefox/changelog.Debian.gz
    Also enter about:config in the addressbar and look for "extensions.lastAppVersion" that should give you a clue, maybe after a Google search?
    Last edited by Master Chief; July 13th, 2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Fixing a typo...

Beans

Hi,
    Anybody checked this issue in the Bug pool? May be there's a solution or can be added to be considered by the dev team.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Well, you have the proposed updates repositories enabled. That could be part of the problem, but it seems as if you have some other sketchy repositories too (an Intrepid Ibex one?).

I'd stick with the ordinary Main, Restricted, Universe, and Multiverse repositories, Reload, and then do an update with Update Manager.
    Thankyou. That was the problem. I disabled all the repositories in update manager apart from the hardy ones, let it reload, then went into synaptic.

It then allowed me to install firefox 3 again, and on opening it, all my favorites are still there.

I think the reason I had the intrepid repositories in there was for avant window navigator, as something is broken in the latest version, although the version that I was using was the old hardy version.

Brilliant...found the problem with AWN as well. Despite having it locked in synaptic, I also had it set to update automatically, so it was still telling me that a new version was available. I downgraded it to the version that works, then disabled the auto update for it, and locked it to the version i'd downgraded to, and now it's nt bugging me about it every 5 minutes in update-manager
    Last edited by csc2ya; July 13th, 2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Fixed AWN as well

Beans
    Distro

Re: [SOLVED] Update removed firefox 3?

Lukyli i havn't been using my 32bit computer for a while, so when i started it I unticked hardy-proposed in software sources, did a update and everything is as it should be. No problems with firefox and even the latest bug that added alot of sources in the third party section looked normal. So i would sugest to untick hardy-proposed.
    Proposed updates, are they important for the security?
    Last edited by planet-reptile; July 13th, 2008 at 05:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    Please check the following file about the update:
    Code:
    /usr/share/doc/firefox/changelog.Debian.gz
    Also enter about:config in the addressbar and look for "extensions.lastAppVersion" that should give you a clue, maybe after a Google search?
    Well according to the changelog and about:config, Firefox says its 3.0.1. Either way, I removed the Hardy Proposed repository. When I updated my sources quite a few of my programs are considered "local" including awn, firefox, some gnome files, gvfs, some libs, and a few other programs.

For Firefox I installed the Nightly Tester Tools extension and overrode the compatibility check on the extensions. Now everything works as expected.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grim4593 View Post
    ...For Firefox I installed the Nightly Tester Tools extension and overrode the compatibility check on the extensions. Now everything works as expected.
    extensions.checkCompatibility is your friend and all you need! Set it to false, and if you can't find it in about:config then just add it as a boolean pref

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12