Thread: White Screen of Death

Beans

White Screen of Death

Hello. First off, I'm a complete newbie to linux.

I recently tried installing an ATI Radeon x1300 driver, and after that installed several updates to ubuntu. Upon rebooting, I logged in, and was met with a white screen of death. I was able to go back to the greeting screen, but I still can't log in. right now I'm working in a failsafe GNOME session.

does anybody have any solutions to this problem?

Beans

Re: White Screen of Death

Sounds like it might be a problem with the desktop effects. Try changing them to "none" in Preferences > Appearance, and then logging into normal.
    Customer: (angrily) "You said I would get 98 windows with this computer. Where are they?"
    Recent video card: Supports two DIFFERENT applications open at one time;
    My 6-year-old laptop with integrated graphics does that just fine

Beans

I already have them set to none.. I don't know that much, but from some other topics I've read, it may be a problem with trying to install the graphics driver. When I try to install it from the Hardware Drivers menu, I get this message:

W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...19.44_i386.deb
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]

Beans

help please

Beans

Hi,
    I am running Debian Lenny which is of course Ubuntu "under the hood", although a pre-release version. I am running on a 64-bit mode, and I have NVIDIA 9600 GT with driver 64-bit version NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.09-pkg2.run.

I have experienced the famous "Ubuntu White Screen of Death" on one occasion so far. I had enabled the "fast-user-switching" applet and switched from my account to another user account. When I returned to my account after logging out of the user account I switched to, I experienced the "Ubuntu White Screen of Death". Having done a quick search on Google, I see that this problem is well-known and has been in existence since late 2007 at least.

Problem reports have included ATI video cards and NVidia cards, as well as someone who I think had this problem (maybe) with Intel 945 mobile. People have suggested upgrading drivers, changing X Config files, etc., however there is no known solution I have found so far.

To myself, as a professional computer programmer, I would put the problem as some sort of unwanted interaction between Compiz-Fusion (which provides the "desktop effects" for Ubuntu), and GDM. The problem seems strongly correlated with login, logout, hibernate, etc. where GDM and possibly Emerald window-manager interaction occur.

To me it's not a problem since I just won't use "fast-user-switching" and will simply log in and log out. However I can report that I have used the Debian 64-bit distribution with various Nvidia drivers for about a month and this is the first time I have run into this problem.

Thanks,

Alexander Burchell

http://www.coldasparagus.com
    Last edited by coldasparagus; July 15th, 2008 at 02:08 AM. Reason: had my email address, don't want spam