Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Avant Window Manager applets not working

Beans

[SOLVED] Avant Window Manager applets not working

I followed the instructions here http://wiki.awn-project.org/Distribu...cocard.27s_PPA on how to get applets for Avant. Everything installed fine, but I still don't have any applets.

Beans

Re: Avant Window Manager applets not working

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

im having the same problem after update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you tried installing Ubuntu Tweak? I found this program made it easy to get the latest AWN applets. You can get it from http://www.getdeb.net/app/Ubuntu+Tweak . Just download and install it, and when you run it just have a look through the menus, under Applications>Third Party Software Sources. You can also use it to keep up with other things, such as Compiz Fusion plugins and Google Gadgets.
    Last edited by MattBD; July 12th, 2008 at 09:02 PM.
    Immorality: the morality of those who are having a better time. -H. L. Mencken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I got the tweak but I still cant figure it out how to restore the applets in the dock like weather and pandora

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

It seems there's a problem with the recent update. Take a look at this thread:
    HOWTO: functional eye-candy with Avant-Window-Navigator

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Which version are you running - Hardy or Gutsy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If u referring to me, I'm running 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK. I was wondering because that guide showed the PPA for Gutsy and I didn't know whether the repositories had been cut-and-pasted in or adjusted for Hardy, as if they were just pasted they might not work in Hardy.
    I managed to get it working about a week ago in Ubuntu Hardy fine. I didn't use that PPA - I installed the avant-window-navigator and awn-manager packages from the normal Ubuntu repositories, which got them working fine but without any applets other than the launcher.
    I then added Ubuntu Tweak and used that to add the extra applets for AWN (as well as Compiz plugins, love the new sphere one!), and it all worked fine.
    Judging by the thread Enlitend mentioned, if it is a problem with the applets themselves, it's now been solved so you might want to try again.

Beans

The problem is that the applets just arn't available even though all the packages installed correctly. I'm running 8.04.

There is an option to install applets manually (like you would with a theme from gnome-look). So, if there is a place to download these applets like gnome-look is to themes, then I can uninstall the non-functional-waste-of-space awn-core-applets-bzr package.

Edit: Also, I know that guide I pointed to in my original post was for Gutsy and not Hardy. The guide for Hardy points me to the Gutsy guide, because there is no applets package in Hardy (for some reason)...
    Last edited by rossjman1; July 13th, 2008 at 01:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast