Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Hardy Heron on USB stick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu Hardy Heron on USB stick

In that case, I'd use the tutorials at Pendrivelinux. They include persistent installs, so you can keep things like bookmarks.

The tutorial for persistent Ubuntu install from live cd is at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05...a-the-live-cd/

I found this only worked properly if you installed LiLO as per the fix at the bottom.

Once this is done it should boot OK on pretty much any machine that has a BIOS capable of booting from USB regardless of OS - it completely bypasses the existing OS so it doesn't matter what's on there, it's just a matter of having hardware that Ubuntu supports. I haven't tried it on a Mac yet.
    Immorality: the morality of those who are having a better time. -H. L. Mencken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'll give it a go at the beginning of next week. Thanks man. I'll let you all hear how it goes.
    Ubuntu/10.04 Lucid Lynx | AMD Athlon X64 3000+ | 3 GB RAM | 650 GB (3 WD HDDs) + 750 GB external (WD) |ATI X700 EXCALIBUR PRO (256 MB)|FF/3.6.9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by peakshysteria View Post
    Not sure this is the right thread, but if I'm wrong i guess a mod can move it to the right place!? Here goes:

Is it possible to install Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 on a USB stick from Windows or an existing Ubuntu installation and run it from OSX, Windows or Linux? Going on holiday soon and it would be sweet to bring Hardy on my 8 GB OCZ Rally2
    No problems. If you create a persistent boot USB device of Linux (or any OS really), then you should have no problem booting it as long as the computer can boot from a USB device. The existing OS doesn't matter because it never comes in to play. The boot would go straight from bootstrap/BIOS to the USB device and would never even "know" what OS was on the hard drive.

The reason it says it can access that existing hard drive is probably just because Linux knows the file systems of DOS/Windows/OSX and many others and can easily mount them to be accessible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by peakshysteria View Post
    Thats the requirements for the installation. It really looks like Dreamlinux only can be runned on exsisting linux installs:
    I'm guessing you meant this part when you stated this:
    Besides, once running from a pen-drive, you will be able to keep your data safe inside it. All you need to do is create folders to store your data, music, videos, you name it. They not only will be accessible inside your Dreamlinux pen-drive Operating System, they can be read in any other computer running any Linux distro.
    If I'm reading it correctly, all thats saying is that you can see the data on the pen drive only from other Linux computers (because it will be formatted in a Linux filesystem - not Windows or OSX).

The opposite should always be true, you shouldn't have any problem reading the hard drives of the other computers (as Linux can access those file systems), but if you boot in to those operating systems (and not your pen drive version of Linux), then you probably won't be able to see the data on your pen drive as Windows and OSX don't recognize the Linux filesystems. If you boot into a computer running a Linux distro (and not your pen drive Linux), then you can still plug in the pen drive and see the files because the Linux you booted to can read the file system of the pen drive linux stick.

Beans

It is possible to install software in Windows, so that you can read (and copy) a Linux file over to Windows. It is also possible to install a Windows shell extension that allows you to write to Linux.

So, if your reason for using Linux on USB is solely because you think that Windows users won't be able to see your files, then you are out of luck.

Windows and Linux do not usually recongize each others' file permissions, so you usually cannot protect files just by ownership.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12