Thread: ODF and why I hate MS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

ODF and why I hate MS

http://consortiuminfo.org/newsblog/blog.php?ID=1699\

The quote in the article that interests me..and largely why Lobbyists suck

What's the motivation? The most obvious conclusion would be that the industry opponents (or opponent, as the case may be) have allied with those in the state government that are already publicly angry about the ITD's position that it can adopt a policy without the approval of other power centers in the State House (or at least that it can adopt a standard without "collaborating" with other powerful factions, the word repeatedly used by Senator Pacheco during the October 31 hearing). The amendment also picks up on the ITD's apparent failure to properly take into account the concerns of the disabled prior to advancing its policy to the point of adoption.
    I have only to guess who the opponent is, and to what extent they are allied on this issue. If you wont play by their rules, they'll go over your head and force you. Whoever that is, and to whatever extent that it is that they desire ODF not to be aggreed upon is in my opinion a pile of donkey dung.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ODF and why I hate MS

I would like to know what kinds of accessibility issues they are talking about. One of my friends is legally blind, and while I haven't talked to him in a long time, I'm sure he'd have no problem using OpenOffice.org and OpenDocument. He is completely blind in one eye and is almost completely blind in the other. He uses a very high contrast theme, very large fonts, and a magnifying glass to read a screen in addition to a pair of really thick glasses. I've seen him use his computer, and while his interaction with his computer is slow, he manages to do everything he wants--including playing all kinds of video games.

Is MS-Office the only suite that addresses the needs of the disabled? What about IBM Workplace, StarOffice, AbiWord, and KOffice? I fail to believe that the ONLY office suite out there that addresses the needs of the disabled is MS-Office.