Thread: Nicotine problems

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Nicotine problems

When I search on Nictone+ I get a good bit of results but any time I try to download a file it either says "Cannot connect" or "User has logged off". I've tried to download 10 or 15 things but I haven't been able to get any of them to start.

I found a post about a similar problem and the solution was to make sure the box that says "I can receive direct connections" is unchecked, which it is for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Nicotine problems

Quote Originally Posted by snkngshps View Post
    When I search on Nictone+ I get a good bit of results but any time I try to download a file it either says "Cannot connect" or "User has logged off". I've tried to download 10 or 15 things but I haven't been able to get any of them to start.

I found a post about a similar problem and the solution was to make sure the box that says "I can receive direct connections" is unchecked, which it is for me.
    Are you behind a personal router, or is it like a University one or something?

I've not used nicotine+ behind a restrictive router myself, so I don't know how it acts; I always enable port forwarding and it behaves fine.

From my understanding, in order for you to download from someone else, either they or you must have their ports open, as downloads are done directly from peer to peer.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycus View Post
    Are you behind a personal router, or is it like a University one or something?

I've not used nicotine+ behind a restrictive router myself, so I don't know how it acts; I always enable port forwarding and it behaves fine.

From my understanding, in order for you to download from someone else, either they or you must have their ports open, as downloads are done directly from peer to peer.
    I am actually sitting in class at school so that's probably it. I'll give it a try again when I get home, I have port forwarding set up on my router. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by snkngshps View Post
    I am actually sitting in class at school so that's probably it. I'll give it a try again when I get home, I have port forwarding set up on my router. Thanks!
    If you really want to do things like this from anywhere and you have a home computer I'd recommend either looking into SSH tunneling, or simply setting-up SSH and remotely accessing nicotine+ from a home desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

same problem, sort of

i'm having kind of the same problem, and i don't want to start a new thread...
    i can search for files alright but whenever i put something to download it just tells me 'getting address' and then 'cannot connect'... and when i choose 'download containing folder' it does absolutely nothing (not that i can see)...
    i do have my ports set up properly, and the thing is it was working a week ago and then it suddenly stopped, i have tried changing between servers 2240-42 and ticking and unticking 'i can receive direct connections' in all the combinations possible, but nothing worked
    then i went ahead and installed museekd and murmur, and at first it worked, i mean, it downloaded one file perfectly, but then it stopped as well, same thing... now when i try to download something it just says 'connecting' and that's it... i even left it there for an hour to see if was that i was being queued (although i had chosen a non queued user, as it was just a test download), but nothing happened, it just says 'connecting'...

i have searched everywhere to no avail... any idea of what could be happening?