Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheres The 2nd Disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cool Re: Wheres The 2nd Disk?

Quote Originally Posted by matt$2 View Post
    Chameleon's request only confirmed what seemed already established.
    Your system is not seeing the second drive.

You will have it resolved if you fixed the deficit in the bios. You sort of haven't mentioned what happened about that.
    The dvd movie viewing will be fixed by installing the required codecs.

Firstly, the drive.
    Yes, "sudo blkid" and "sudo fdisk -l" provide very similar results. I don't know why "grep" was used though, as it is only useful for grabbing important bits from commands that have large amounts of output (and fdisk isn't very verbose).

If you want more data, you can use "sudo lshw -sanitize -C disk".

I agree that the BIOS settings and the physical cables need to be checked.

Beans

Re: Wheres The 2nd Disk?

Sorry. Had to nip out.

The bios is not showing the second drive either.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb Re: Wheres The 2nd Disk?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeves1983 View Post
    Sorry. Had to nip out.

The bios is not showing the second drive either.
    OK, now you say that this is in your laptop. It's not normally possible to install multiple internal hard drives in a laptop. There's just no space. Perhaps you could explain your physical set-up a bit more for us.

Beans

ok. i dunno how to do that can anyone explain?

The only thing i can think of is that the hard drive was partitioned to make two drives. But the system says that i have just one 40gb hard drive when i used to have a 40gb and a 10gb one?

Im stumped. Any news on how to find the code required to show you guys would be appreciated.

Many thanks again tho for all your help, i do appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Re: Wheres The 2nd Disk?

ok. i dunno how to do that can anyone explain?

The only thing i can think of is that the hard drive was partitioned to make two drives. But the system says that i have just one 40gb hard drive when i used to have a 40gb and a 10gb one?

Im stumped. Any news on how to find the code required to show you guys would be appreciated.

Many thanks again tho for all your help, i do appreciate it.
    Thanks, that's the sort of info I was after.

So, you only have one actual hard drive as such, but it is divided into two partitions.

Well, as far as we can see from those commands, you do have two partitions, but one is ext3 (with Ubuntu on) and the other is swap (providing an area for Ubuntu to use as virtual memory). There is nothing else. You presumably deleted everything else.

If you open up GParted (look for it in the application menus, or type "gksudo gparted" on the command line), what do you see? (You could explain, or show a screenshot.)

Beans

Here is the screen shot u wanted. Its in the attachment. But the partition is really small. Not the 10Gb i had previously.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I assume that when you installed Ubuntu you chose the option in the partitioner to let it automatically partition your hard drive. This wipes your drive and makes a / partition and a swap partition. So any data that was there is now gone. What you should have done is choose the advanced partitioner and choose the partition you wanted to be the system partition.

Beans

I am not sure. Think i used the option where it wipes everything. I am sure i will never get that 10Gb back so im gonna move on to my next problem.

My dvd won't play dvd's. It says that the media is incompatible, even though i downloaded the codecs for the O/S.

Any Ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

im gonna move on to my next problem.

My dvd won't play dvd's. It says that the media is incompatible, even though i downloaded the codecs for the O/S.
    Did you install libdvdcss2 from Medibuntu?

But this is really a subject for a separate thread. There are many already covering the topic of DVDs.
    If people were nicer, I'd answer more queries here!

Beans

How do i install it. i have it downloaded. This ubuntu is good i must say but installing items is a pain in the butt!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast