Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: permission to write and change file in File System

Beans

permission to write and change file in File System

Hi

I wonder if it is a way to get permission to write and change file in File System for a Administrator permanently. to use Localhost and do other programming i have to be able to save and change file there from different programs like a Codeeditor(Bluefish)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: permission to write and change file in File System

can you be a bit more clear in what you want ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by masoud23 View Post
    Hi

I wonder if it is a way to get permission to write and change file in File System for a Administrator permanently. to use Localhost and do other programming i have to be able to save and change file there from different programs like a Codeeditor(Bluefish)?
    You could just run the program you are using as root. Open a terminal and type the following (obviously replace "APP-NAME" with the app you want to use):

Code:
    gksu APP-NAME
    Hope that helps
    Hmmm...

Beans

I want to be able to crate, save download files in and to my File System. right now i get permission denide all the time.

Beans

I want to be able to crate, save download files in and to my File System. right now i get permission denide all the time.
    You need to root permisions to do this. To open a root file manager do this in a terminal:

Code:
    gksu nautilus

Its what makes Linux/UNIX so secure and it's NOT to be turned off.
    Hmmm...

Beans

Yes! tanks now I can use FileZilla for downloading. But I have to do this every time i start a progam don't I. Is there a way to grand permission permanently?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

its a real bad habit to get a 100% write/execute access over the entire filesystem. ...especially if you are connected to a network, because if you can write "anywhere" , a traitor may also corrupt your filesystem.

so its better to use your ~ to save/modify files.
    if you are in a real need, you can start your app,like this-
    gksu firefox
    but in that case "you" will not be "you" and the files you create will automatically be having "root" permissions, and you will be able to access those files only as root, via sudo.

Beans

Yes! tanks now I can use FileZilla for downloading. But I have to do this every time i start a progam don't I. Is there a way to grand permission permanently?
    R-click on the applications menu, click edit menus, find filezilla, double click on the filezilla menu entry then put gksu in front of the command.

RUNNING FILEZILLA AS ROOT COULD BE POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS!!!

Where are the files you are trying to access on your system anyway? Maybe i can help better if you can explain better.
    Last edited by Tomatz; July 12th, 2008 at 10:43 AM.
    Hmmm...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I think you're missing the whole point of security and permissions in Linux. This sounds like you're still thinking in Windows ways. Don't worry, we all do it. It takes time.

Your home folder is where everything you download should go. Create special folders for whatever you want. Then if you need to copy files into system folders, you use sudo or whatever method you need to obtain administrator privileges and do so. Ditto for creating config files and suchlike In fact I can't think of a single instance where I would want to save downloaded files directly into system folders. Can you give examples of what you are trying to do?

Beans

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I need a solution.

You all say that running filezilla gksu is dangerous but what are the alternatives? I need to download and upload files to my server and I cannot do it unless in root mode. Now I see that you also have to open these files in root mode to do anything with them?

Are there any workarounds?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast