Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D Windows All Blank with ATI X1650

Beans

Re: 3D Windows All Blank with ATI X1650

Compiz -replace just gave me a blank desktop again with just my background and cursour visible. Basically the same thing as enabling it in the Appearance application. I've already tried method 2 on that website and it does the same thing.

I should reiterate that my problem is not a compiz problem. I don't really care if compiz works or not. I'm trying to get my 3D applications (glxgears and 3D games) to work. I only said what happens with compiz because it uses 3D.

Beans

Still desperate without a solution...are there other places I could maybe go to get some help regarding the fglrx driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Have you tried logging in in gnome safe mode?

Beans

Yes. No change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Try some of the suggestions here:

http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=6794

It may be a VideoOverlay issue or and OpenGl problem.

Also, you may want to get the latest ATI driver which is 8.6. There are directions here for installing it:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

Use method 2 and follow the directions very carefully.

Others have mentioned that the Radeon driver works better for them with this card. I am not familiar with that but you could try a google search and see if it meets your needs.

Beans

I've done everything on that first site and I must have installed that 8.6 driver using method 2 fifty times now. It's what I'm currently running on actually. But I shall try agsin. I've done tons of research before I posted my problem and I've yet to find somebody with the same problem as I have that isn't using openSuse.

I do appreciate this help, though. This must be the single most annoying graphics bug I've ever seen. Next time I get a nVidia card! lol
    Last edited by MusicallyInspired; July 17th, 2008 at 12:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have seen on some other threads that people are having more luck with the Radeon driver with that particular card family. Perahaps you should do a search for some of those threads and see what they did.

Beans

I should point out that this problem seems to have solved itself after upgrading to Ubuntu Intrepid. Suddenly it worked perfectly without any flaws. I really don't know why it suddenly works in Intrepid and just WOULD NOT work in Hardy. I'm glad it does, though. Hopefully upgrading will solve the same problems for everybody else with this problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12