Thread: Server 8.04.1 mysql command line login problems

Beans

Server 8.04.1 mysql command line login problems

I cannot login to mysql via the commandline in Ubuntu Server 8.04.1. I re-installed the system to make sure there were no configuration errors. (I installed Ubuntu Server 8.04 i386 from disc, then ran 'apt-get upgrade')

I have a php app (osticket) installed that uses the database successfully as 'root' user. However, when attempting to login to the mysql commandline using 'mysql -u root' I experience the error in this wiki post - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MysqlPasswordReset

After performing the steps in that wiki post, the error is still not resolved. I have reset the password and then restarted MySQL and i cannot login as admin. The php app (osticket) still works and connects to mysql successfully.

I have also performed these steps with AppArmor disabled.

Code:
    nonroot@osthelpdesk:~$ mysql -u root
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    nonroot@osthelpdesk:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql stop
    [sudo] password for nonroot:
     * Stopping MySQL database server mysqld                                 [ OK ]
    nonroot@osthelpdesk:~$ sudo /usr/sbin/mysqld --skip-grant-tables
    080711 14:37:38  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43655
    080711 14:37:38 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections.
    Version: '5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.1'  socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'  port: 3306  (Ubuntu)

nonroot@osthelpdesk:~$ mysql
    Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MySQL connection id is 2
    Server version: 5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.1 (Ubuntu)

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
    mysql> UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('password') WHERE User='root';
    Query OK, 3 rows affected (0.02 sec)
    Rows matched: 3  Changed: 3  Warnings: 0

mysql> exit
    Bye
    [sudo] password for nonroot:
    nonroot@osthelpdesk:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
     * Starting MySQL database server mysqld                                 [ OK ]
     * Checking for corrupt, not cleanly closed and upgrade needing tables.
    nonroot@osthelpdesk:~$ sudo mysql -u root -password password
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    nonroot@osthelpdesk:~$ sudo mysql -u root -password 'password'
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    nonroot@osthelpdesk:~$
    Last edited by saint_jude; July 11th, 2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Code out of order

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Server 8.04.1 mysql command line login problems

I am not an sql person but may be able to help.

"root" and "root@localhost" are not the same. You set the password for "root" but the system sees you as "root@localhost". You want to set the password for 'root'@'localhost'. You missed a step. You need to do it again so you can get in as root and then follow all of the steps. You want this part:

Code:
    SET PASSWORD FOR root@'localhost' = PASSWORD('password');
    I think maybe you can get in now with no password.

Beans

I tried your code with and without the "--skip-grant-tables" option. Both times the command failed.

MySQL started normally:
    Code:
    mysql>SET PASSWORD FOR root@'localhost' = PASSWORD('password');
    ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'mysql'
    MySQL started with --skip-grant-tables
    Code:
    mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR root@'localhost' = PASSWORD('password');
    ERROR 1290 (HY000): The MySQL server is running with the --skip-grant-tables option so it cannot execute this statement

Then I tried updating the mysql.user table with a modified update query (where host was specified). See below:

mysql is running with --skip-grant-tables...
    Code:
    mysql> UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('password') WHERE User='root' AND Host='localhost';
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
    Rows matched: 1  Changed: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> SELECT User, Password, Host FROM mysql.user;
    +------------------+-------------------------------------------+-------------+
    | User             | Password                                  | Host        |
    | root             | *2470C0C06DEE42FD1618BB99005ADCA2EC9D1E19 | localhost   |
    | root             | *2470C0C06DEE42FD1618BB99005ADCA2EC9D1E19 | osthelpdesk |
    | root             | *2470C0C06DEE42FD1618BB99005ADCA2EC9D1E19 | 127.0.0.1   |
    |                  |                                           | localhost   |
    |                  |                                           | osthelpdesk |
    | debian-sys-maint | *4FE45312C28AEF93B59F27609E333076D06C3454 | localhost   |
    6 rows in set (0.01 sec)

mysql> exit
    Bye
    nonroot@osthelpdesk:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
     * Starting MySQL database server mysqld                                 [ OK ]
     * Checking for corrupt, not cleanly closed and upgrade needing tables.
    nonroot@osthelpdesk:~$ mysql -u root
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    nonroot@osthelpdesk:~$ mysql -u root -password password
    nonroot@osthelpdesk:~$ sudo mysql -u root -password password
    Still not working...

Beans

Hello

I guess you are using MySQL version 5.0.51 , like me

So here comes its new syntax

The option's mark and its contents should be merged.

So, here is the true command line:

Code:
    mysql -uroot -ppassword
    Where "root" is your username and "password" is the password that belongs to it.

P.S.
    Man, I really don't understand why have they done it in this merged syntax )
    Last edited by Pacendrix; August 20th, 2008 at 11:57 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pacendrix View Post
    Code:
    mysql -uroot -ppassword
    Yes, that should work. To be prompted for the password rather than putting it on the command line, you can do this too:

Code:
    mysql -uroot -p
    When you put the password on the command line, it can be viewed via the `ps' and `top' commands until the command exits and in your shell's command history indefinitely.

Beans

Ximbiot I just wanted to explain that it should be merged ...

However you are right ... Security at first

Best Regards