Thread: Username

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Username

To whom it may concern:

Once upon a time there was a new high-school grad who was playing with Fedora Linux. After playing with this for some time he hears a rumor of a newish distro with some odd African name. After some Googling he discovers this new distro and downloads it. He likes it but does, as all young Linux users do at some point, encounters a problem which stumps him.

This young UbuntuUser then reboots into the dreaded windows to search for a solution to his problem. He searches and eventually comes across a forum for this new found distro. Through his college years he uses this distro, frequently searching the forum for solutions but seldom posting as he finds many of his questions already asked and answered. Then he graduates college and gets a good programming/sysadmin job and decides that it is his duty to help those who are now like him. He begins to understand that over the years he has learned a great deal and can answer many question. However, the name that he chose when joining the community all those years ago is very generic and sadly non-unique -- this causes an impediment to forum comradery.

Will you provide this story with a happy ending?

Seriously, though, I am now more active in the community and I would like to change my user name without starting a new account. I would be grateful if you would help me out.

I would like to change it to MasterXandrex -- my typical handle and Xandrex if that is not available.

Please let me know,

Xan
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Username

We almost never do this without a really good reason. However, you made me laugh, and that was worth it.

Enjoy the new name.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Username

Thanks-a-lot.

Xan
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.