Thread: Unable to run "make" in hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Unable to run "make" in hardy

Hello,
    Since I've upgrade to Hardy, I cannot make/install anything. I have tried installing several things (madwifi and ndiswrapper for example) and always get the same error:

""
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/matt/My Documents/Code/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'
    make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic M=/home/matt/My Documents/Code/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic'
    make[2]: *** No rule to make target `Documents/Code/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'. Stop.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic'
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/matt/My Documents/Code/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    ""

I believe I have installed all necessary packages, and again I didn't have this problem in Feisty or in Gutsy.

uname -r shows 2.6.24-19-generic

Please help solve this problem.

many thanks
    Matt

Re: Unable to run "make" in hardy

Do you need to run ./configure first? Yes, I know you've compiled things before, but once in a while we forget stuff...

May I ask, do you want ndiswrapper in order to make a wireless driver work? It may be that you don't need to do it, in Hardy. My wireless needed ndiswrapper in Gutsy, but Hardy has the problem solved (it detects a missing driver, and instructs you to download it via cable, without needing to compile ndiswrapper).

I have successfully compiled some other things in Hardy. Can't say I've done it in kernel -19, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you... but ./configure is not needed; the instructions (and how I've done it previously) start just with the "make" but now I get the error I previously posted...

Hardy detects my wireless fine (Atheros Communications Inc. AR5418 802.11abgn Wireless) but doesn't run it (in Network Settings there is just Wired Connected and Point to Point in Network Settings)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Have you tried installing automake and autocof?

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you. I do not understand the logic of this, but I moved the installation folder to the Desktop, and did the Make, and it ran fine! I wonder if the fact that originally it was in a folder with two words (My Documents) through it for a loop????

Beans

I wonder if the fact that originally it was in a folder with two words (My Documents) through it for a loop????
    you can see it right here
    make[2]: *** No rule to make target `Documents/Code/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'. Stop.