Thread: Please reopen this thread

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

Please reopen this thread

Hi guys. From talking to some mods it seems my thread about a Ubuntu mixed with the Barrack Obama logo has caused a stir. I had hoped that we all as people here were mature enough to see that my thread was simply about art. It's even in the Art&Design section.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=823482

This has no more a political meaning than any of the multitude of varied Ubuntu logos where people use their national flag (LOCO teams and the like) or religious symbols. If this thread violates the rules than there needs to be a complete review of the avatars as well.

Please don't make a "guilty until proven innocent" judgment and close the thread until a consensus is made. Which is what seems to have happened as I get mixed feelings from many mods on this. I'd like it re-opened and the last off-topic post removed. It survived for weeks so far and has been fine.

The thread is about art.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Please reopen this thread

I'm not thrilled with the political content creeping into the forums. I have no beef with Obama. My problem is that these forums are designed for other sorts of discussions and there are other locations on the internet that are better suited to political discussions.

As I say here, I will reopen the thread and give you the benefit of the doubt that the intent is to discuss art, but I think it is a weak argument and I'm nervous about opening the floodgates to discussions of artwork relating to other candidates, political parties in general, personal beliefs, and so on. This is a slippery slope sort of argument, and I will be keeping a close eye on where the thread goes.

Personally, I would rather see all discussions of specific candidates during the U.S. election season closed, to be discussed in more appropriate venues, than to see our Ubuntu community experience the very common grumpiness and turmoil that almost inevitably accompany these sorts of discussions between the U.S. political left and right.

If it stays civil and remains a discussion of the art, as claimed, I'll leave it alone.

Oh, and for what it is worth, I like the logo in post #2. I think it is visually appealing, even though it probably violates the Ubuntu copyright policy and could make the Canonical staff uneasy. See: http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy
    While there may be exceptions, it is very unlikely that we will approve Trademark use in the following cases:

• Use in combination with any other marks or logos. This include use of a Trademark in a manner that creates a "combined mark," or use that integrates other wording with the Trademark in a way that the public may think of the use as a new mark (for example Club Ubuntu or UbuntuBooks, or in a way that by use of special fonts or presentation with nearby words or images conveys an impression that the two are tied in some way).
    Last edited by matthew; July 11th, 2008 at 03:11 PM.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I'm not thrilled with the political content creeping into the forums. I have no beef with Obama. My problem is that these forums are designed for other sorts of discussions and there are other locations on the internet that are better suited to political discussions.

As I say here, I will reopen the thread and give you the benefit of the doubt that the intent is to discuss art, but I think it is a weak argument and I'm nervous about opening the floodgates to discussions of artwork relating to other candidates, political parties in general, personal beliefs, and so on. This is a slippery slope sort of argument, and I will be keeping a close eye on where the thread goes.

Personally, I would rather see all discussions of specific candidates during the U.S. election season closed, to be discussed in more appropriate venues, than to see our Ubuntu community experience the very common grumpiness and turmoil that almost inevitably accompany these sorts of discussions between the U.S. political left and right.

If it stays civil and remains a discussion of the art, as claimed, I'll leave it alone.
    It really is sad that people can't control themselves and the thread can't stay in the more appreciate "Art&Design" section. I feel the "Pink Ponies" section invites and promotes people to act silly. But this is unfortunately the way of the forum. Not much I can really do other than go away.

Thanx matthew.

Oh, and for what it is worth, I like the logo in post #2. I think it is visually appealing, even though it probably violates the Ubuntu copyright policy and could make the Canonical staff uneasy. See: http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy
    This really only applies to non-community use. I'm in very regular communication with many at Canonical all of whom have seen my little "fan-art" and all have commented positively. I can ask Mark to sign off on it if you like?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicAddict View Post
    This really only applies to non-community use. I'm in very regular communication with many at Canonical all of whom have seen my little "fan-art" and all have commented positively. I can ask Mark to sign off on it if you like?
    That won't be necessary. That was said as much for the overall perspective and understanding of the public as anything. It's only a couple of steps from fan art to trademark issues, but I think the thread is still well on the safe side of the issue.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!