Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot Install Ubuntu On Acer Aspire One

Beans

Re: Cannot Install Ubuntu On Acer Aspire One

if you can get xubuntu installed you could always do that, then simply install the package ubuntu-desktop from there. You could even remove the xubuntu packages if you wanted...Rather a roundabout solution, but it is a possibility.

Hope that helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Try the 32 bit 8.04.1 build of Ubuntu (or Xubuntu). I think the later kernel has built-in support for the Atom processor that is lacking in the earlier builds.

For WIFI, the chip is a new Atheros (AR5007) that works with the LATEST madwifi drivers - not the version shipped with Ubuntu.

Follow this guide to compiling them -

http://brunoabinader.blogspot.com/20...rdy-heron.html

Don't forget to disable the drivers that the Hardware Drivers wizard thing uses by default before you start.

Once you get the drivers working, you can add them to /etc/modules to make them load at boot time. Do it manually (sudo nano /etc/modules) or just

Code:
    $ sudo echo ath_pci >> /etc/modules
    You will have to repeat the make-install process whenever there is a kernel update so keep the tar ball (unless they get built-in, which is promised "soon")
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans
    Distro

Another thing you may want to do with a newly installed X/ubuntu on the Acer Aspire One is to edit your fstab (sudo nano /etc/fstab) and comment (#) out the line for /dev/sdb1 which begins /media/cdrom0......

Otherwise you may have problems with USB devices that are not CDROMs.

USB devices automounted fine for me after editing that line. Before that I was getting errors about wrong filesystems and bad blocks.

This issue does not affect booting from a USB device (which you can select during boot with F12.

Also, watch out for NumLock! It is on by default and you will have fun trying to enter a password if you are not used to it (Fn+F11 turns it off).

Have fun - I'm loving mine!
    Aubrey

Beans

[QUOTE=Tux Aubrey;5380552For WIFI, the chip is a new Atheros (AR5007) that works with the LATEST madwifi drivers - not the version shipped with Ubuntu.[/QUOTE]

I found that the chipset did not work with the lastest MAdwifi drivers, rather their latest special drivers in snapshot:
    http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special...+ar5007.tar.gz

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tiltus View Post
    I found that the chipset did not work with the lastest MAdwifi drivers, rather their latest special drivers in snapshot:
    http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special...+ar5007.tar.gz
    You are right. I just followed Bruno Abinader's How-To and got those drivers.
    Aubrey

Beans

I have successfully gotten Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy running on my new acer aspire one in only 2 days after receiving it from my boss to experiment with Linux on it. I have also gotten the wireless to work. I was able to get hardy on it by first installing 7.10 gutsy gibbons and using the distro upgrade. Yes, I know that that's not the best way to go about things, but it works. The way i got the wireless to work is with nDiswrapper. I first got the windows drivers from
    HTML Code:
    http://www.liliputing.com/2008/07/windows-drivers-for-acer-aspire-one.html
    then using ndiswrapper the way you always do. BTW, sry this post is so long, but its 3:30 in the morning and im typing this on my aspire one, which for some reason makes me babble on about nothing, sry bout that too. Anyways, if what i said helps anyone out, well...i guess i helped u out... This is also my first post on this site, so please dont bash me too much and do u guys think its weird to be a Linux "semi-expert" at the age of 15? (im not calling myself an expert-expert because just cuz i know more about linux than anyone i know, dosn't mean i know more than most of the ppl who help the people out on this site)...OMG...STFU ME!!...sry guys...really sry...im gonna finish now...bye...
    Last edited by 2fast4u288; July 15th, 2008 at 08:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

itsapenguin: have you tried modifying your boot parameters to disable some of the card managers (noapci, etc.)? that was a problem for me with my Acer Aspire 9410Z with a couple other distros. Not with Ubuntu, but I'm not sure how the Aspire One works similarly/differently.

Hope this helps!
    M$ free since 2003. Linux since '96.
    Make the switch.

"It's free, as in freedom. You know, the thing we spent so long securing?"

Beans

I also 4got to ask u guys where u got your aspire ones from...cuz i got mine from my bosses spetial contact who got a surprise shipment of them b4 the actual stated release day..so...ya..any responce would be appretiated....im totally gone now..lol

Beans

thanks for the instructions. it worked.

Beans

Installed with unetbootin and live 8.04. Wifi is great, thanks.

Reduced swappiness and changed fstab to tmpfs (cause were using SSD).

Any idea how to get it to suspend when I close the lid?

Thanks

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast