Thread: php 5.2.6 how do we load this? where is it?

Beans

php 5.2.6 how do we load this? where is it?

searched packages...

where is current stable php 5.2.6?

if this is not yet a package, how long does it usually take b4 these things are ready?

many thanks

iggy

Beans

Re: php 5.2.6 how do we load this? where is it?

I don't know if this will help, but:

https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/server/C/php5.html

Beans

yep kind of looks liek wha ti did when i installed php -->

thsiis what i did

apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5 libapache2-mod-ruby php5 php5-common php5-curl php5-dev php5-gd php5-idn php-pear php5-imagick php5-imap php5-mcrypt php5-memcache php5-mhash php5-ming php5-mysql php5-pspell php5-recode php5-snmp php5-sqlite php5-tidy php5-xmlrpc php5-xsl

and an old version (not current stable) was installed

this is what was installed:
    PHP Version 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

5.2.4 isn't exactly "old". Unless you want to compile it, this is probably as new as you are going to get, and unless there is some reason you "need" a feature of 5.2.6 (I doubt it) there is no reason to want to do this.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    5.2.4 isn't exactly "old". Unless you want to compile it, this is probably as new as you are going to get, and unless there is some reason you "need" a feature of 5.2.6 (I doubt it) there is no reason to want to do this.

-Tim
    I believe the reason would be the couple hundred fixed since 5.2.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Those fixes can be patched on the earlier version. In real life, many productions servers are still on version 4.xx

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    Those fixes can be patched on the earlier version. In real life, many productions servers are still on version 4.xx

-Tim
    Those production servers running 4.xx are probably not dealing with 5x or 5.2x only applications.. and being a php web app developer.. 5.3x is something im waiting for personally because of features which dont exist in 5.2x .. functions dealing with very simple introspection.. allowing for the creation of some very handy automation scripts.. and youre right.. those patches can be added over 5.2.4 .. but hah you cannot even compare 5x to 4x.. thats just wrong dude

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you are always waiting for the latest and greatest because of some proposed feature, you'll never get anything done. If you really need the latest version of php you can always install from source. You can get it here:

http://www.php.net/downloads.php

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by insaini View Post
    Those production servers running 4.xx are probably not dealing with 5x or 5.2x only applications.. and being a php web app developer.. 5.3x is something im waiting for personally because of features which dont exist in 5.2x .. functions dealing with very simple introspection.. allowing for the creation of some very handy automation scripts.. and youre right.. those patches can be added over 5.2.4 .. but hah you cannot even compare 5x to 4x.. thats just wrong dude
    Of course I never said you should purposely use 4.xx BUT, there are many times in real world situations where moving to the latest version breaks tons of code, surely you know this as a developer. I work with them all the time and there are wayyyy more 5.xx installs out there than 5.2.6. In fact I would venture to say that most places that develop php applications haven't even tested the new stuff yet. Sure, if you're just a hobbyist or learning then you should have the latest, and then IMHO you should be running it somewhere like on FreeBSD where you can compile the latest version quickly and easily.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net