Thread: How to launch GRASS from the menu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

How to launch GRASS from the menu?

The 6.2.2-2ubuntu1 Geographic Resources Analysis Support System(GRASS)was successfully installed in my computer but by default can only be launch from the terminal by the command line "grass". I would like it to launch from the Gnome menu of the UBuntu 8.04. I read it is possible to launch GRASS under the Debian menu as it is more thorough so I managed to install the Debian menu but it doesn't appear to be so. Can anyone advise how to add a GRASS link under the Gnome main menu?

Beans

Re: How to launch GRASS from the menu?

If you click on 'System' -> 'Prefences' -> 'Main Menu' it will open up the menu configuration, where you can add a new item - in this case, a launcher that runs the command 'grass62'
    "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by badaveil View Post
    The 6.2.2-2ubuntu1 Geographic Resources Analysis Support System(GRASS)was successfully installed in my computer but by default can only be launch from the terminal by the command line "grass". I would like it to launch from the Gnome menu of the UBuntu 8.04. I read it is possible to launch GRASS under the Debian menu as it is more thorough so I managed to install the Debian menu but it doesn't appear to be so. Can anyone advise how to add a GRASS link under the Gnome main menu?
    Right-click on the "Applications" menu (Top panel) and select "Edit Menus", click on Applications and Accessories (but you could use other menu options). Click on the "New Item" button to launch "Create Launcher". For the values:

Type: Application in Terminal
    Name: GRASS
    Command: grass
    Comment: Optional

and click on OK. So everytime you want to launch GRASS, navigate to Applications->Accessories, and select GRASS.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro

iaculallad,joshuwa

Yes, the GRASS link under the main menu works. Thanks.

If I could ask another favour, would you happen to know what the command line is instead of "grass" so that whenever I click GRASS under the main menu, it would jump straight to the GRASS startup as if I were to hit RETURN to continue?

That would be brilliant.

Beans

Instead of "grass", use "grass -wxpython" or "grass -tcltk" respectively to launch with GIS Manager.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dfs700 View Post
    Instead of "grass", use "grass -wxpython" or "grass -tcltk" respectively to launch with GIS Manager.
    Thanks, actually I'm already happy with the creation of the link via Gnome launcher. My current adventure is trying to figure out how to run the software and I flumble my way through as I am only familiar with ArcView/ArcGIS