Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how can i get a command to execute after X but before GDM?

Beans

Re: how can i get a command to execute after X but before GDM?

Sorry to digg up this old thread, but im having the same issue w/ ubuntu 9.4

i followed *all* the steps i had done before and this is the problem i get

---- ubuntu 9.4 -----

1) add the folowing to /etc/gdm/Init/Default file
    Code:
    /usr/bin/x11vnc -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc-pw -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -bg -rfbport 5900 -forever -allow "127.0.0.1","192.168.2."
    2) go to /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and uncomment then change the line to read like this
    Code:
    KillInitClients=false
    3) restart and test.

------

Here are the results:

everything starts up properly, and i can verify this because i can connect via VNC and see a remote copy of my physical screen.

Logging in poses a problem. The only way i can log in is via the physical keyboard WITH NO ACTIVE VNC SESSION. If i try logging in w/ a connected VNC client, then GDM seems to restart and asks me again for my user/pass.

If i try logging in through VNC, then the same thing happens, except during the brief gdm restart, my VNC client throws a connection closed error.

once i login (through physical keyboard only), everything runs fine! i can remote connect and go w/o any problems.

it seems that there is some step that the FAQ doesn't include or needs to include for newer versions of GDM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_tater View Post
    Logging in poses a problem. The only way i can log in is via the physical keyboard WITH NO ACTIVE VNC SESSION. If i try logging in w/ a connected VNC client, then GDM seems to restart and asks me again for my user/pass.

If i try logging in through VNC, then the same thing happens, except during the brief gdm restart, my VNC client throws a connection closed error.

once i login (through physical keyboard only), everything runs fine! i can remote connect and go w/o any problems.
    I think you are seeing this problem:
    Let me know if you agree or not. The workaround is:
    Code:
    x11vnc -noxfixes ...
    As discussed in that thread there is also an option "-reopen" in the upstream x11vnc that provides another workaround.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krunge View Post
    I think you are seeing this problem:
    Let me know if you agree or not. The workaround is:
    Code:
    x11vnc -noxfixes ...
    As discussed in that thread there is also an option "-reopen" in the upstream x11vnc that provides another workaround.
    yes! that works miracles! im glad i wasn't the first one to find this bug... this functionality is pretty important to me.

for those who dont want to go digging through the other thread, this is all you need to use

Code:
    /usr/bin/x11vnc -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc-pw -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -bg -rfbport 5900 -forever -allow "127.0.0.1","192.168.2." -noxfixes -cursor arrow -arrow 3

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_tater View Post
    yes! that works miracles! im glad i wasn't the first one to find this bug... this functionality is pretty important to me.
    Great, glad it is working for you.

Feel free to add a "Me too" to any of the bug reports mentioned in the other thread. Xorg seems to be ignoring this bug...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krunge View Post
    Great, glad it is working for you.

Feel free to add a "Me too" to any of the bug reports mentioned in the other thread. Xorg seems to be ignoring this bug...

in the hopes that the bug is fixed, i have posted a "me to" to the bugreport i was able to find

http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18451

cheers! and thanks for the help!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123