Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: 32 bit Ubuntu with 4GB+ of memory

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ballard
    Beans
    2,353
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: 32 bit Ubuntu with 4GB+ of memory

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    I am trying option 2.1 (adding the server kernel). Here is my output:

    Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package linux-restricted-modules-server
    Is that normal or is something amiss?

    (I am running 8.10.)
    Answer? Anybody?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    L'viv, Ukraine
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: 32 bit Ubuntu with 4GB+ of memory

    After installing and booting from server image

    type
    sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-$(uname -r)

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    1

    Re: 32 bit Ubuntu with 4GB+ of memory

    I have a Toshiba P105 S9722 running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid. I have 4GB installed, however Ubuntu only sees the following. total mem is 3015--used 1037--free 1978--shared 0--buffers 33--cashed 445---/+ buffers/cashe--used 558--free 2456--Swap 0. I have tried a number of procedures listed on the forum to no avail. I have the latest bios updates and have read several articles that say the transition processors, such as the T7200 with the 945pm express chipset cannot map above 4gb of memory. Any other solutions out there???????
    Last edited by aspenhawk; January 1st, 2009 at 02:57 AM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    $here ? $here : $there
    Beans
    3,717
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: 32 bit Ubuntu with 4GB+ of memory

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenhawk View Post
    I have a Toshiba P105 S9722 running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid. I have 4GB installed, however Ubuntu only sees the following. total mem is 3015--used 1037--free 1978--shared 0--buffers 33--cashed 445---/+ buffers/cashe--used 558--free 2456--Swap 0. I have tried a number of procedures listed on the forum to no avail. I have the latest bios updates and have read several articles that say the transition processors, such as the T7200 with the 945pm express chipset cannot map above 4gb of memory. Any other solutions out there???????
    My last laptop was a P105 series. Apart from various other problems, it wouldn't even boot with more than 2G of RAM and with more than 2GB the BIOS would only report 3GB. I would check your BIOS and, if it's only reporting 3GB, then what you are seeing is normal.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Beans
    635

    Re: 32 bit Ubuntu with 4GB+ of memory

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenhawk View Post
    I have a Toshiba P105 S9722 running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid. I have 4GB installed, however Ubuntu only sees the following. total mem is 3015--used 1037--free 1978--shared 0--buffers 33--cashed 445---/+ buffers/cashe--used 558--free 2456--Swap 0. I have tried a number of procedures listed on the forum to no avail. I have the latest bios updates and have read several articles that say the transition processors, such as the T7200 with the 945pm express chipset cannot map above 4gb of memory. Any other solutions out there???????
    The cheap Intel chipsets like the 945 don't support the required remapping, sorry.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Beans
    163
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: 32 bit Ubuntu with 4GB+ of memory

    Thanks for the walkthrough. I deactivated the restricted nvidia driver from the hardware driver GUI before adding the server kernels, then reactivated it after a reboot. All is peachy now with 6GB RAM + nvidia driver. I didn't try installing the restricted modules you list.

    +1 for releasing a PAE-enabled desktop (generic) Ubuntu kernel. Like he said, hit up the site and vote for it so we don't have to do so much legwork. Took me about two hours total, including 30 min to tweak LILO to boot from a new kernel, 45 min to reconfigure xorg.conf, all of which can be avoided once they release a PAE kernel.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Beans
    210
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Wink Re: 32 bit Ubuntu with 4GB+ of memory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cracauer View Post
    PAE is really not that much slower.

    Yes, (useless) artificial memory bandwidth tests suffer a little, but for real-world applications there is just a random +- 1%:

    http://www.cons.org/cracauer/crabench/pae.user.html
    Pretty useful, thanks.

    For me, I give up the 2-3% for the extra 1G of memory(or more), I was suspicious about the performance of the kernel server in a Desktop environment because of its tuning not because of PAE's performance hit, does it work well with games, downloads, movies, everything.
    I couldn't find a definitive answer so I installed the server kernel to find out, all I'm going to lose is a couple of hours and it's doing well up till now, I will follow up with updates if any.
    Diaa Sami

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    $here ? $here : $there
    Beans
    3,717
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: 32 bit Ubuntu with 4GB+ of memory

    Quote Originally Posted by diaa View Post
    Pretty useful, thanks.

    For me, I give up the 2-3% for the extra 1G of memory(or more), I was suspicious about the performance of the kernel server in a Desktop environment because of its tuning not because of PAE's performance hit, does it work well with games, downloads, movies, everything.
    I couldn't find a definitive answer so I installed the server kernel to find out, all I'm going to lose is a couple of hours and it's doing well up till now, I will follow up with updates if any.
    The only difference you are really likely to notice is in games. Where you may or may not see a performance hit. Most people probably won't notice the difference between the -server and -generic kernel.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ballard
    Beans
    2,353
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: 32 bit Ubuntu with 4GB+ of memory

    Quote Originally Posted by SlonUA View Post
    After installing and booting from server image

    type
    sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-$(uname -r)
    I'm afraid that the error message I received above in some way prevented me from downloading/installing the server kernel.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    5

    Re: 32 bit Ubuntu with 4GB+ of memory

    Using the option 2.1, with minor modification added the kernel version linux-restricted-modules-2.6.27-9-server everything works fine for me, including compiz
    mem: 6076 MiB

    Thank you

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •