Thread: Weird Live CD Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy Weird Live CD Problems

Hi everyone. i have Ubuntu 8.04 Installed and i have a weird problems when i try to mount live cd 's of other Linux distros.

when i insert a Fedora 9 live CD into my computer ubuntu will simply say that there is no media in the drive when there is. also once i reboot to try to boot of the cd it wont let me and after a while it boots back in to ubuntu.

however a ubuntu live cd works fine and i have no problems. ive cheeked BIOS settings and the fedora 9 cd works on my friends laptop

Thanks For Any Help.

P.S I am not getting rid of ubuntu i just want to isntall fedora on another computer and want to try it out here as the other computer CD drive is broken and i am waiting for it to be repaired
    Last edited by adrian007; July 10th, 2008 at 03:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Weird Live CD Problems

Did you burn the disk your self?

If the disk wont boot then I would say bad media/bad drive, Ubuntu cant affect whats going on before its loaded.
    Try again with a better quality disk or a different drive.
    System Specs:
    Desktop: E6420 (@3.4GHz, Water Cooled), 4GB DDR2, 1.6 TB HDs, X1950 Pro (OS Driver),
    Dual Boot Win7/Jaunty, 19" 4:3 + 24" 16:9.
    Laptop: Toshiba L30, T2080 Pentium Dual Core, 2 GB DDR2, 250GB Hard disk.

Beans

Is it the same media type as your 8.04 cd? I have had issues with different media not being bootable for my drive.

You could always trying setting up a network install if the disk won't work. Fedora and Ubuntu both have support for PXE installations over the network. Maybe you could try that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

No. i used the same media as my ubuntu 8.04 cd (CD-R) and the Fedora disk works on my friends laptop so the problem cant be with the disk or the drive as it can mount other cd's
    Last edited by adrian007; July 11th, 2008 at 09:49 AM.