Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] How to check filesystem at boot? Or other.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] How to check filesystem at boot? Or other.

What I need to do is this:
    Code:
    e2fsck -f /dev/sda6
    I need to do this check on this partition 'cause Gparted (using LiveCD) won't let me move any more file systems without doing it...It whined about needing to be root, so I logged into my normal user on the same partition, tried it, and it told me not to do it while on the partition...well I had a brainfart...How do I check this while not on the partition, like at startup when it checks it sometimes. I don't CURRENTLY have a triple-boot, and I can't surely have Vi$ta to run this command, 'cause it can't see EXT3...Blind-@$$ piece of....well lets not go there. Back to the point how do I?

Beans

Re: How to check filesystem at boot? Or other.

Had you tried:

Code:
    sudo touch /forcefsck
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by iaculallad View Post
    Had you tried:

Code:
    sudo touch /forcefsck
    Uhhh...what did that do, I'm guessing it happens when I restart?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You can also :

Code:
    shutdown -Fr now
    -r = reboot
    -F = force check
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by L337_K3y5 View Post
    Uhhh...what did that do, I'm guessing it happens when I restart?
    If the file named /forcefsck exists, your file system will be checked at the
    next boot. It will also reset the 30-mount count for your file system check.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok...I did the system check at boot...wasn't good enough for Gparted, then I did the system check while in Live CD by putting sudo in front of the command. It checked it, no errors right? Well, then I tried to shrink partition 6 by 1.02GB then let the partition 5 absorb it...It would always go through with it until I get to the part when it ACTUALLY shrinks it, not the error checking. Then looking through the details afterwards, I see that it wants me to do a
    Code:
    e2fsck -f /dev/sda6
    before I can go through with it. I've done a diskcheck twice......Here's the link to Pastebin.
    Last edited by L337_K3y5; July 10th, 2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: I'll check back later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Re: How to check filesystem at boot? Or other.

I don't know what to do now to make sure Gparted knows I've done a disk check. How do I make it notice that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

what problem are you having exactly ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ummm...To put it bluntly, whenever I do a disk check, then go into Gparted and try to move/resize a partition, it fails, and in the details it tells me to run a
    Code:
    e2fsck -f /dev/sda6
    Which is wierd 'casue it makes me think Gparted isn't seeing the disk check...? Let me try it one more time....I'll post back later, if this time doesn't work, literally writing this going out the door. Here, look at this...try figuring this out, I highlighted some areas.
    Last edited by L337_K3y5; July 10th, 2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Pastebin Editing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What happens when you :

Code:
    sudo umount /dev/sda6

sudo e2fsck -f /dev/sda6
    You can not check or resize a mounted partition, so if sda6 is / you need to run from a live CD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast