Thread: Use Windows Key as a shortcut key by itself

Beans

Question Use Windows Key as a shortcut key by itself

I just arrived to Hardy from Vista, and I was really getting used to press the Windows Key and start typing so indexed stuff could be found.

I noticed, like in Gutsy, Hardy comes with that handy Deskbar as a panel widget. My only problem is that I can't make it recognize the Windows key by itself, it only works with some other key combined.

Now I read somewhere that Linux considers the Windows key as a meta-key, which could or should not do anything by itself.

Is this true? If so, is there any workaround on this?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Use Windows Key as a shortcut key by itself

A workaround to make it pop the "Applications" menu in your Ubuntu:

System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts, an option in the "Desktop" is your "Show the Panel Menu" (Default is Alt+F1), click on the Title then press the windows key (Value is Super L) on your keyboard to change its value.

Now, everytime you want to drop the Applications Menu, all you have to do is press the windows key.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans

Indeed, I didn't try that before. So, why is Gnome able to recognize Super key as a shortcut by itself via Global Keyboard Shortcuts, and Tracker only allows its use as a meta-key to combine with some other key?

It's just that what I intended was to pop-up Tracker with the Windows Key, no the Menu.

Thanks.

Beans

I was just reading about a related issue and thought the info provided on this page may be useful to you.

One of the comments suggests using xmodmap to map the windows key to a fictional F13, you should then be able to bind that key to bring up deskbar (although this will interfere with any other win key bindings for metacity/compiz).
    Registered Linux User #464572
    journal.ryanhaigh.net
    www.ryanhaigh.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'll check it out as soon as I get home.

Although I got used to the Windows + Space combo for launching Gnome-Do.

Thanks!
    therefore I gnu.