Thread: Nvidia Graphic Driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nvidia Graphic Driver

Greetings.
    The Graphic card I have on this laptop is Nvidia 7900GS, now I am currently using the Nvidia Proprietary Driver that I installed when first installed Ubuntu. I have installed wine and World of Warcraft and it seems to be running smoothly buy I am just wondering would there be any performance increase if I installed the drivers from Nvidia's site?, or is that the same as what I currently have.

Many Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Nvidia Graphic Driver

If you have nvidia-settings installed you can open that-I forget where that is but you can type it in a terminal too. When it opens you will see what version of the driver you have.
    If you do install the driver manually you will need to re-install with every kernel update.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The drivers on the nvidia site are slightly newer but, I don't think you will see any difference in performance on a 7 series card. If the default Ubuntu drivers work for you, I highly recommend staying with those drivers as it's much easier to maintain them.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for answering guys, I think for now since I am still learning I will stick with the drivers i have since if there is not going to be significant improvement, afterall If it's not broken don't fix it.
    Thanks.