Thread: [SOLVED] no sound gstreamer plugns after kernel upgrade - gutsy dell vostro 1700

Beans

[SOLVED] no sound gstreamer plugns after kernel upgrade - gutsy dell vostro 1700

Hi,
    I guess this question might be fairly common but i have been searching for a solution for a couple of weeks to no avail.

I am using gutsy on a dell vostro 1700 and recently upgraded the kernel from 2.6.22-14 > 2.6.22-15 via the update manager. Now i have no sound. It looks like the gstreamer plugins are not available. When i boot the old 2.6.22-14 kernel sound works fine.

i.e. when i click on the volume control i get :-
    Code:
    "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found."
    Can anyone point me to a solution? I have the "linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-15-generic" installed and gstreamer0.10-plugins-[base|good|bad|ugly] installed.

reagrds,
    rob

Beans

Re: no sound gstreamer plugns after kernel upgrade - gutsy dell vostro 1700

Actually it was the linux-backports-modules-2.6.15 that i had to installl for my particular hardware. This seems to have resolved the particultar gstreamer pugins problem.

But now i still can't use the soundcard. I can use alsamixer to control the device but i can play anything through it - i am not sure why but the device seems to be busy all the time - even when i hae no other apps running.

Beans

Re: no sound gstreamer plugns after kernel upgrade - gutsy dell vostro 1700

Finally got this fixed after a load of messing about.
    using instructions here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

I installed alsa-1.0.17-[drivers|lib|util] from src
    and ran
    Code:
    sudo alsaconf
    and added the line:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1 model=3stack
    to:
    /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

I also followed some instructions from here :-
    http://sudan.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=607258

but i am not sure if that did anything as it installed the old alsa (1.0.14). Which i then installed the new alsa (1.0.17) after.