Thread: [SOLVED] LAMPP for Hardy??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

[SOLVED] LAMPP for Hardy??

I´ve installed Hardy; now I want a LAMPP. I dimly remember from Feisty that there was a magic incantation you could type into Synaptic Package Manager to accomplish an ¨all in one¨ download.
    Can someone tell me what is is? I use it to develop web pages in PHP.

- And can anyone tell me why I have to type TWO ´ (apostrophe) to get one to work? Wasn a problem with Fiesty ...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: LAMPP for Hardy??

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dinmore View Post
    I´ve installed Hardy; now I want a LAMPP. I dimly remember from Feisty that there was a magic incantation you could type into Synaptic Package Manager to accomplish an ¨all in one¨ download.
    Can someone tell me what is is? I use it to develop web pages in PHP.

- And can anyone tell me why I have to type TWO ´ (apostrophe) to get one to work? Wasn a problem with Fiesty ...
    What exactly do you mean by "LAMPP"?

What you call an apostrophe (') is actually an acute accent (´). Also, you are using umlauts (¨) instead of double quotation marks ("). That would indicate that your keyboard is not properly set up, or that you are using it wrongly. That could affect any commands that you type in, because it is essential to get them exactly right.

Your other question is impossible to answer because it seems to refer to some guide that you are following, but we can't know what you are talking about unless you tell us.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by ChameleonDave View Post
    What exactly do you mean by "LAMPP"?

What you call an apostrophe (') is actually an acute accent (´). Also, you are using umlauts (¨) instead of double quotation marks ("). That would indicate that your keyboard is not properly set up, or that you are using it wrongly. That could affect any commands that you type in, because it is essential to get them exactly right.

Your other question is impossible to answer because it seems to refer to some guide that you are following, but we can't know what you are talking about unless you tell us.
    LAMPP = Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl.
    Sorry, I thought that was a really common acronym.

Re keyboard problems. when I hit the key just to the right of the colon/semicolon key, nothing appears onscreen. I need to hit it twice to get anything to show up. You´re right - it IS a problem, one which I have never expereinced before. Do you have any suggestions for fixing it?
    This is a new installation of Hardy.

Beans

I have not a clue to solve your keyboard troubles, however lampp is more commonly known as xampp for linux. If you really want lampp/xampp you may as well go to the installation page http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html. You won't need single or double quotes to get it extracted or to start it.

Actually, you could check your keyboard preferences. System > preferences > keyboard. A window with tabs will pop up, check the layout tab, it will list the layout(s?) you are currently using. If you need to change the layout, click on add and select your layout from the dropdown. You probably will need to click the bubble to tell ubuntu that you want to use that layout as the default. The button is to the right of the layout list in the layout tab. If I'm confusing you, don't be afraid to have me clarify.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Code:
    sudo aptitude install lamp-server
    you'll have to install pearl separately.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dinmore View Post
    Re keyboard problems. when I hit the key just to the right of the colon/semicolon key, nothing appears onscreen. I need to hit it twice to get anything to show up. You´re right - it IS a problem, one which I have never expereinced before. Do you have any suggestions for fixing it?
    You must have chosen "US-international" as your keyboard layout when you installed Hardy. The correct way to use US-international is to press space after those keys, rather than pressing those keys twice.

It is quite a hassle. It's only worth the effort if you habitually enter a large number of accents when you type, e.g. if you write French every day.

If you don't need special characters so frequently, then the "Alt-Gr" variant of US-international is preferable. That what I use. With that one, accents don't come up unless you use the Alt-Gr key. In other word, if you never press the Alt-Gr key, that layout functions identically to the "United States" keyboard layout without any special characters.

See also:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboar...-International
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key

Each desktop environment has a GUI for choosing keyboard layouts, usually under regional and language settings.
    Last edited by ChameleonDave; July 9th, 2008 at 04:32 AM. Reason: links

Beans

How do you get those special letters and symbols using a standard us keyboard?

EDIT: That question was for chameleonDave.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install lamp-server
    you'll have to install pearl separately.
    That's it! bewdy. Thank you for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by ChameleonDave View Post
    I must have chosen "US-international" as your keyboard layout when you installed Hardy. The correct way to use US-international is to press space after those keys, rather than pressing those keys twice.

It is quite a hassle. It's only worth the effort if you habitually enter a large number of accents when you type, e.g. if you write French every day.

If you don't need special characters so frequently, then the "Alt-Gr" variant of US-international is preferable. That what I use. With that one, accents don't come up unless you use the Alt-Gr key. In other word, if you never press the Alt-Gr key, that layout functions identically to the "United States" keyboard layout without any special characters.

Each desktop environment has a GUI for choosing keyboard layouts.
    I shall try that ...
    yep! that did it. Thanks for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by alloftheabove View Post
    How do you get those special letters and symbols using a standard us keyboard?

EDIT: That question was for chameleonDave.
    If you mean how can you get them with the standard US keyboard layout enabled, the answer is that you can't. You must enable a layout with accents, such as US-international.

Looking at System Settings for KDE 4, I can see that it very helpfully informs the GUI user what commands are being used behind the scenes. (I believe that all GUIs should do that! GUIs should inform people, not dumb them down!).

Code:
    setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us -variant            # Standard US layout
    setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us -variant intl       # This is US-international
    setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us -variant alt-intl   # Older alternative version of the above
    setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us -variant altgr-intl # This variant uses the AltGr key
    If you mean to ask whether you can get accents with a physical keyboard which follows the standard US layout, then yes. Absolutely any keyboard can do so. It doesn't matter what letters are printed on the keys. I used to use the Spanish layout on a UK keyboard. I now use US-international with AltGr, on a US keyboard (all keyboards are US here in Australia).
    Last edited by ChameleonDave; July 9th, 2008 at 04:27 AM.