Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] can't get Nvidia 7600gs working...boots in low-graphics mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question [SOLVED] can't get Nvidia 7600gs working...boots in low-graphics mode

After a fresh install of hardy, ubuntu boots into low-graphics mode saying that my graphics card and monitor can't be detected. No matter what I try, I can't get the Nvidia drivers to work. I've tried just enabling them in System > Administration > Hardware Driver. Unsuccessful. I've tried downloading from Nvidia's website and installing them. Unsuccessful. I've tried envy. Unsuccessful again. I can't get my screen resolution past 800x600 because of this so my machine isn't very usable. The video works in vista, so I know it's not a hardware problem. How should I try to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: can't get Nvidia 7600gs working...boots in low-graphics mode

Quote Originally Posted by hoozey View Post
    After a fresh install of hardy, ubuntu boots into low-graphics mode saying that my graphics card and monitor can't be detected. No matter what I try, I can't get the Nvidia drivers to work. I've tried just enabling them in System > Administration > Hardware Driver. Unsuccessful. I've tried downloading from Nvidia's website and installing them. Unsuccessful. I've tried envy. Unsuccessful again. I can't get my screen resolution past 800x600 because of this so my machine isn't very usable. The video works in vista, so I know it's not a hardware problem. How should I try to fix this?
    Hi and have you tried using the nvidia settings to adjust your resolution?
    Use the alt, F2 keys and enter
    Code:
    gksu nvidia-settings
    If you do not have nvidia settings installed you can search and install via synaptic manager.

Beans
    Distro

Hi and have you tried using the nvidia settings to adjust your resolution?
    Yes, but whenever I run nvidia-settings it says that I am not running the nvidia driver...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by hoozey View Post
    Yes, but whenever I run nvidia-settings it says that I am not running the nvidia driver...
    Ok what was the error when you try to install the nvidia driver that you downloaded from the nvidia site. You may have to install build essentials also to help with the installation of that driver.

Beans
    Distro

I installed build-essentials before i tried the official nvidia driver. I don't even get an error message when installing it either. It seems to be successful and then when I reboot it starts in low graphics mode anyway.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when installing the official nvidia driver, it says it couldn't find a matching kernel interface from the nvidia ftp site and that it would have to create its own kernel interface. The rest of the installation seems to work fine though...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ok then you should see the nvidia splash when booting and you stated that when using the nvidia setting it say you do not appear to be using the nvidia drivers. Is this the same after the manual install also?

Beans
    Distro

Yes, it says this after manual install, too. And I don't see the nvidia splash. I can install the driver just fine but it never actually loads when I restart.

Beans
    Distro

bump?

Beans

If you want to use the restricted drivers (nvidia-glx-new) maybe i can help you out. (just set up an install with that card a couple of hrs. ago)
    I'd need to know the make and model of your monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    If you want to use the restricted drivers (nvidia-glx-new) maybe i can help you out. (just set up an install with that card a couple of hrs. ago)
    I'd need to know the make and model of your monitor
    Hi mc4man, I believe the issue is the same for other that having issue of the nvidia driver not installing properly. If you read the op post you will see it gives the error of not using the nvidia drivers even after attempting to install manually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast