Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] How can I customize the logo next to the Applications Menu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

[SOLVED] How can I customize the logo next to the Applications Menu?

So, I've started tinkering around with GTK themes to make my own Dark theme and what not and I've run into one thing that I really can't figure out.

How do I change the icon next to the Applications menu? I've tried changing /apps/panel/default_setup/objects/menu_bar in gconf-editor to use a custom icon. Didn't work.

I tried changing the start-here.svg file in /usr/share/icons/Human/scalable/places but that didn't work.

I just want to be able to use my own, custom icon next to the Applications menu. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Also, and this might not be simple, but I noticed in the Christian Edition, their button actually extends beyond the gnome-panel at the top of the screen. Is that possible to do with a GTK theme or would that require Metacity/Emerald?
    ASUS M2A-MVP, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+, 3 Gb DDR2 800Mhz, GeForce 8600GT XXX Edition, Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How can I customize the logo next to the Applications Menu?

Code:
    gconf-editor
    now navigate to
    [ /apps/panel/objects/menu_bar_screen0/use_custom_icon ] or
    [ /apps/panel/default_setup/objects/menu_bar/use_custom_icon ]

that'll get you headed in the right direction. i only remember reading this on the forum...

Beans
    Distro

The only options I have under /apps/panel/ are default_setup, general and global.

Under default_setup/objects there is only menu_bar, there isn't menu_bar_screen0

Any reason why this might be?
    ASUS M2A-MVP, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+, 3 Gb DDR2 800Mhz, GeForce 8600GT XXX Edition, Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by pofigster View Post
    The only options I have under /apps/panel/ are default_setup, general and global.

Under default_setup/objects there is only menu_bar, there isn't menu_bar_screen0

Any reason why this might be?
    Not sure... did you check the use_custom_icon option? If not do that and then set the custom_icon path above it...

That ought to do the trick. To be honest, it has been along time since I've used anything other than Openbox & Pypanel so I am going off of vague memories...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

If you have a custom png image for replacement, scale it to 22x22 size. Press Alt+F2 and type in gksudo nautilus. Copy the image to /usr/share/icons/active_icon_theme/22x22/places/start-here.png

Note: If you are using a self installed icon theme, goto .icons folder in your home folder and find the active_icon_theme folder there..
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Beans
    Distro

LinuxIsInnovation - I installed the icon theme Gion just so I could try out what you suggested. After installing it by dropping the .tar.bz2 file into the "Appearance" window I opened up ~/.icons/Gion/22x22/places/ and placed my custom start-here.png file (a blue horses head).

I then used killall gnome-panel to restart the gnome-panel - nothing. I opened up the Appearance window, switched themes, then switched back. Nothing changed so I again ran killall gnome-panel

The icon is still the same Ubuntu logo. Anything I might be doing wrong?

Beans
    Distro

I'm also curious how to change the "Log off, switch user, lock screen or power down the computer" icon as well. I've seen the default Ubuntu red power switch and the green running man. I'd like to be able to manipulate that, but I don't know which file to rename, where it's at, etc...

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Was there a start-here.png file within the ~/.icons/Gion/22x22/places/ folder already? Also, change the icons of other sizes: 24x24, 32x32, scalable etc.
    Also, the Shut Down, Restart etc should be in the Actions folder.
    I use the AER-OS-XK icons pack (gnome-look.org)
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Beans
    Distro

There wasn't a start-here.png icon already in the folder - do I need then to change the icons in the /usr/share/icons/hicolor folder to get it to change? I will try adding the appropriatly sized start-here.png file to each of the other folders as well. And a .svg file to the scalable as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If there wasn't a start-here.png there already, the index.theme file for Gion will also not have an instance of the file. Change /usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/places start-here.png
    I would rather recommend some better looking complete icon theme like NuovoXT.2.2 or AER-OS-XK or Crashbit..
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast