Thread: Compiz for Xubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Compiz for Xubuntu?

The Great Desktop Effects FAQ of 2008 doesn't include anything on Xubuntu. I've installed Compiz through the Add/Remove Programs section, but don't know how to start it. Do I need to download anything else? Oh, and has anyone ever tried Compiz on Xubuntu? Does it work well? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Compiz for Xubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by racie View Post
    The Great Desktop Effects FAQ of 2008 doesn't include anything on Xubuntu. I've installed Compiz through the Add/Remove Programs section, but don't know how to start it. Do I need to download anything else? Oh, and has anyone ever tried Compiz on Xubuntu? Does it work well? Thanks.
    Hi and xubuntu, kubuntu, ubuntu are all the same under the hood although they use different DE. If you wish to start compiz-fusion you can use the alt, F2 keys and enter
    Code:
    compiz --replace
    then you may have to add it to the sessions for start up. You can also install the fusion icon to help. Yes I have used compiz and XFCE before and still ( although the system is not running at the moment) and works just as well.

Beans
    Distro

Do I need to download XGl for it to work? I just installed it and it said something like "XGl not detected. exiting"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Do I need to download XGl for it to work? I just installed it and it said something like "XGl not detected. exiting"
    Hi and have you run compiz check from the FAQ's and what is the model of the graphics card?

Beans
    Distro

How do you check what model the graphics card is? I only know how from Windows.

Beans

If you installed XFCE on top of Ubuntu (ie installed Ubuntu first and THEN installed XFCE) then you will have Compiz. If you installed xubuntu from the xubuntu CD then you won't have Compiz. You will need to install it through Synaptic if you want to use it. AFAIK if you install fusion-icon then that will handle the Compiz dependencies but this isn't how I installed it so I'm not 100% sure. I installed (I think) ccsm, compiz-core and compiz-plugins. And if you want fusion-icon then that should handle your dependencies too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

How do you check what model the graphics card is? I only know how from Windows.
    HI and you can use the command
    Code:
    lspci
    and look for VGA.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sub2007 View Post
    If you installed XFCE on top of Ubuntu (ie installed Ubuntu first and THEN installed XFCE) then you will have Compiz. If you installed xubuntu from the xubuntu CD then you won't have Compiz. You will need to install it through Synaptic if you want to use it. AFAIK if you install fusion-icon then that will handle the Compiz dependencies but this isn't how I installed it so I'm not 100% sure. I installed (I think) ccsm, compiz-core and compiz-plugins. And if you want fusion-icon then that should handle your dependencies too.
    I don't have Ubuntu, I have a Xubuntu and Vista dual-boot. I installed Compiz through the Add/Remove programs, but it says that I need xgl. What's fusion-icon and the all the other things you're talking about? I'm so confused lol.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    HI and you can use the command
    Code:
    lspci
    and look for VGA.
    Oh okay, thanks. I'm going to edit this post and tell you what it is because I'm having an error where I can only run one program at a time and nothing can minimize. I posted my problem here if you think you can help.

*edit* I found this:
    Code:
    VGA Compatible Controller: nVidia Corporation GForce 700M (rev a2) (rev a2)
    Last edited by racie; July 9th, 2008 at 05:51 AM.