Thread: Recommended TV Tuners for Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Recommended TV Tuners for Ubuntu

I'm looking to spend under $100 (dollars, less in euros) for a decent enough tv card. The main thing is: I want to be able to plug it in and have it work, with minimal effort. I've given up on ever getting this Winfast TV2000 working. No matter what I try/do/read/install/uninstall/reinstall, it just won't load properly.

Are there any GUARANTEED to work cards out there?

It's going to be displayed on the computer monitor (19 inch LCD), and sound will be over the normal computer sound output (stereo).

Requirements:
    - Don't care/want/need HD, surround sound, whatever other fancy TV snobbery people have
    - No FM tuner needed (though could be nice)
    - Remote would be convenient,but not mandatory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Recommended TV Tuners for Ubuntu

the Hauppauge PVR line of cards (pvr150, 250, 350, 500) will work perfectly in ubuntu. all that is needed is to do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ivtv-utils
    and you are good to go. i use vlc to watch tv and it works great. If you get a Hauppauge card, PM me and i'll tell you how to set it up with vlc. it's ez. btw, i have the PVR150. it's good basic tv tuner.
    Last edited by wolfen69; July 8th, 2008 at 05:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Hauppauge Wintv Nova T-Stick (usb2 with no remote control) works very good; is a DVB-T (digital terrestrial (?)) usb key, is perfect with kaffeine player
    ------------------------------------------------
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/
    ------------------------------------------------

Beans

I have the ATI tv wonder VE. It works perfectly out of the box

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    the Hauppauge PVR line of cards (pvr150, 250, 350, 500) will work perfectly in ubuntu. all that is needed is to do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ivtv-utils
    and you are good to go. i use vlc to watch tv and it works great. If you get a Hauppauge card, PM me and i'll tell you how to set it up with vlc. it's ez. btw, i have the PVR150. it's good basic tv tuner.
    My next card will be a Hauppauge. I'm currently using an AVerTV GO 007 FM Plus on VLC (on Xubuntu Hardy). Picture quality is great, and video recording quality in MPEG-2 mode is great. My tuner card is one of those that plays the audio itself through the comp's sound system (it doesn't have an audio-out jack to play audio through the comp's line-in), so my next card will be a Hauppauge one that plays audio through the line-in jack. I keep VLC on channel 3 so I can just use my VCR as the audio source and as a cable box.

Beans

Hauppauge HVR-950 in Hardy Heron

I have Hardy Heron installed on a HP ZD7249cl laptop. I'd like to get my Hauppauge HVR-950 working and have tried numerous threads without success. Can anyone direct me to an easy (relatively, I know this is Linux) method to get this card working?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A Terratec Cinergy 1400 DVB-T works very good, and should be easy to find in Germany.

Greetings,
    Steven

Beans

Re: Hauppauge HVR-950 in Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by gjhuff View Post
    I have Hardy Heron installed on a HP ZD7249cl laptop. I'd like to get my Hauppauge HVR-950 working and have tried numerous threads without success. Can anyone direct me to an easy (relatively, I know this is Linux) method to get this card working?
    I have the same problem i tried like 5 methods and only one worked but only the video, I later found that there was a way to add sound but i couldn't make the video work again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Hauppauge HVR-950 in Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by gjhuff View Post
    Try http://www.technetra.com/2008/07/01/...tv-with-linux/