Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making your own custom Linux distro image/live cd.

Beans

Re: Making your own custom Linux distro image/live cd.

Id like to suggest a link but i cant remember where it is! Hehe

If this is a thread about making your own custum distro can you provide a link to the Ubuntu base install. You know, the 30 odd meg one? Just the base system with nothing else in it? Any idea what im talking about? Hehe

I recently made my own Ubuntu+XFCE and greatly appreciated being able to have a 'no junk included' Ubuntu to start work from.

Beans

Just seen the link i was waffling about (Thanks Kerry_S).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

Its the minimal installs of Ubuntu, you just get a command line and have to install everything (including window manager). If someone wants an absolutely clean Ubuntu to start with to recreate how they want, this is the ISO to download ^^

Beans

I have been interested in my own custom distro based off of Ubuntu for a long time, and I have finally found an easy way to do it using Reconstructor. Reconstructor is easy enough to use. However, I have a licensing question. How will I comply with Ubuntu/Linux's GPL license if I want to share this distro with others? This program can only generate ISO's, and I would like to give them to others and make them available for download. However, I do not want to be in violation of the GPL. Can someone give me some advice on compliance with Reconstructor-based distros?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by presidentray View Post
    I have been interested in my own custom distro based off of Ubuntu for a long time, and I have finally found an easy way to do it using Reconstructor. Reconstructor is easy enough to use. However, I have a licensing question. How will I comply with Ubuntu/Linux's GPL license if I want to share this distro with others? This program can only generate ISO's, and I would like to give them to others and make them available for download. However, I do not want to be in violation of the GPL. Can someone give me some advice on compliance with Reconstructor-based distros?
    I don't believe there is anything that would prevent you from distributing it other than if you wanted to include some sort of proprietary programs or such with it. Things like Flash, Java, w32codecs, that require the end user to accept licenses would definitely be something to be cautious about. I'm not 100% positive that redistributing such things would be legal or not if you made the end user accept the licenses terms before downloading, as it depends on the specific licenses themselves.

Reconstructor is a GPL program but anything that is created with it and distributed is the responsibility of the distributer/distro creator. So feel free to make any type of ISO you want, but beware of what you are adding to your ISO and if it is not GPL/LGPL software.

Beans

Also, make sure that the source code is available for every GPL program you ship. You don't have to include it on the ISO, but it needs to be available.

Beans

this was like the 3rd result on google when i was looking for information about the subject of this thread, so this may be worth adding:

http://www.susestudio.com/

custom suse iso from a web interface.

ubuntuforums.org thread about it here.

Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

Good 'LaRoza'. You've started a very useful thread. Keep sharing this kind of information to new-bies like me. Thanks

Linux Archive
    Last edited by pmicheal; February 9th, 2009 at 03:20 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123