Thread: How to reduce MacBookPro power consumption - help needed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How to reduce MacBookPro power consumption - help needed

I am running Hardy, a clean install, on a Core2Duo (gen 2 I think) Macbook Pro.

Power top says I am using about 30-32 watts. Following the power top recommendations will get me down a watt or two.

It runs quite hot, and the battery life is very short. Much shorter than when running MacOSX.

What should a typical power number be?

There seem to be very little information on reducing power consumption under Hardy for the Macbook Pro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How to reduce MacBookPro power consumption - help needed

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur.harvey View Post
    There seem to be very little information on reducing power consumption under Hardy for the Macbook Pro.
    If you don't mind the use of root, the following will give you the ability to throttle cpu frequency which could result in reducing power consumption. Note that Hardy defaults CPU frequency throttling to 'ondemand'. First do this:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-applets
    Then add the CPU frequency scaling monitor applet to your Gnome Panel. This will let you run the applet as root which will give you left click access to manually changing the CPU performance profile. You can add an applet for each processor you have, selecting it in the preferences.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This thread has a lot of power-saving talk. It is not Hardy specific, but that really shouldn't change things much.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590867

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have done it before with no luck, I tried it again, both with the minimum cpu setting of 1.0GHZ and power save, I am stuck at about 33W.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I went through his tips.
    The gnome power manager stuff seems to be different in Hardy.
    Anyway by killing everything except for the bluetooth, which is how I connect to the intenet, I got it down to 28W. A lot higher than he got his down to.
    Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur.harvey View Post
    I went through his tips.
    The gnome power manager stuff seems to be different in Hardy.
    Anyway by killing everything except for the bluetooth, which is how I connect to the intenet, I got it down to 28W. A lot higher than he got his down to.
    Any other ideas?
    I think he was using a MacBook as opposed to a MacBook Pro as well. That might be a big difference.

For the gnome power manager stuff, all I can say is just search around as that kind of thing shouldn't be all that specific to Macs. try and get the same settings changed with the new gnome utility.

Bluetooth and WiFi are power hogs. I don't know that 28W is all that bad considering. Maybe try turning of Bluetooth temporarily to see the effect. at least then you will know how much it is adding to the mix.