Thread: [SOLVED] How can I disable pulseaudio through the terminal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] How can I disable pulseaudio through the terminal?

I've got a problem regarding pulseaudio on hardy heron. I've noticed that flash videos (mainly youtube) would play for a few seconds, then stop.

I've now narrowed it down to a problem with pulseaudio, as if I go into system tools > system monitor, and end pulseaudio through there, flash video's then play with no problems.

I've tried going into synaptic, and removing pulseaudio, but that also wants to remove gnome at the same time, which i'm using, so I can't remove it.

I also cannot get into the system menu on the panel menu (It freezes xserver whenever I try. This occurred after installing the mac4linux pack), and so I can't even just change whether pulseaudio is enabled or not.

Is there any way to disable it through the terminal, as this currently seems the only possible way of sorting it out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How can I disable pulseaudio through the terminal?

from here :
    PulseAudio Removal

If you decide you no longer like PulseAudio and would like to disable it: Remove the added lines to /etc/asound.conf If /etc/asound.conf did not exist when you installed PulseAudio, you may remove /etc/asound.conf entirely.

After this, you may remove all of the installed PulseAudio packages.

To disable pulseaudio in hardy you need to select alsa for for all options in /system/preferences/sound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the reply. However, there doesn't seem to be an asound directory in /etc for some reason (I did select to show hidden directories).

I'm unable to change it through preferences either due to gnome freezing whenever I go to open the system menu.

I've noticed some other things in that wiki entry that may fix it though. I'll give those a try later on.
    Last edited by csc2ya; July 8th, 2008 at 01:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I noticed on that wiki entry, that one of the things suggested was to downgrade the libflash plugin. I've done that, and flash video's now work again.